Bob hairstyles are in no danger of going out of style. Many celebrities (hello Jennifer Aniston!) are continuing to cut off their long locks for chin-grazing bobs and the longer "demi-bobs" or long bobs.
In this gallery, I feature the 20 hottest bobs of the year. But first, a bit of history on the bob.
According to NYC salon owner Eva Scrivo in her book, "Eva Scrivo on Beauty," the bob originated during World War I as women joined the workforce and no longer had time for pin curls and straightening irons. "Cropped hair became of badge of freedom, rebellion, and independence for working women who had also just gained the right to vote," Scrivo writes.
So who can wear the bob? Anyone with a nice jawline and neck will look good in a bob. Here are some tips to abide by:
- If you have a round face, a long bob is a better option for you.
- When it comes to hair texture, bobs work best on thin to medium hair.
- If you have curly hair, a bob will turn into a triangle on you, unless you get layers cut in and the ends texturized (see photos of short, curly hairstyles that are adorable).
- If you have fine hair, ask your stylist for a "graduated bob," which are stacked layers cut shorter in the back, longer in the front that give hair needed body and height at the crown.
- You may need a great flat iron to keep your bob in phenomenal shape. See my list of the best flat irons.
Find out which bobs work best on various face shapes. You might be surprised.
More essential reading: