Thursday May 16, 2013
I have traveled all over the world visiting decadent spas and my trips have been utterly amazing and relaxing. But not everyone can afford to spend $500 (& up!) a night for a resort and daily spa offerings.
On one trip to Mexico, I decided to craft my own spa vacation and I ended up saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I did it myself by staying in a nice hotel on the water that wasn't expensive and then I figured out ways to work in yoga workouts, runs and spa treatments into my days.
Find out how I did it in How to Create a Spa Vacation on a Budget.
Image: Image Bank for Getty
Tuesday May 14, 2013
I've never been a huge fan of the traditional shag haircut, which reminds me of 80s hair bands and mullets. Hair that has too many layers with long, scraggly ends seems dated to me.
But the new modern shag is anything but dated. It still has layers, but not as many as the ones from the 70s and 80s. The shag, it seems, has been revolutionized. Still mussy and a bit "bedheadish," the modern shag can be any length and is flattering to all face shapes.
Check out my new gallery of Shag Hairstyles: 19 Amazing Shags and choose your favorite.
Sunday May 12, 2013
Lipstick is popular this spring and I'm partial to hot pinks as seen here on Gwen Stefani.
One problem with lipsticks is the lack of staying power. To keep yours from melting away within the hour, follow these tips:
- You must start with a smooth surface. Dry, scaly lips do not a nice mouth make. Apply a liberal glob of petroleum jelly to lips and exfoliate with a toothbrush.
- Fill in lips with a matching liner and your color will last much longer.
- Try a lip stain instead of a creamy lipstick. A good stain will really live up to its names and stay on for many hours. Because stains can be drying, top with a gloss and keep it on hand for touch ups. Unlike stains, gloss wears off fast.
Get the full scoop on my best lip secrets in How to Apply Lipstick: 16 Lipstick Tricks & Tips.
Photo: Gwen Stefani by Pascal Le Segretain for Getty Images
Friday May 10, 2013
Oh how I love dark frames on women and men (my fiance has a pair that are "very Clark Kent" as he puts it). I've pulled together several eyeglass frame galleries and many of them feature the dark frames that are oh so popular right now. Find out which frames work best with your face shape. Here are some tips:
- It's very important to choose a frame that matches your personality. Let's say you have a twin. If you are understated, classy and sophisticated, you really wouldn't pick the same pair as your fun-loving, loud and eccentric sister. And you shouldn't.
- Your face shape is key. Rounded frames don't look great on round face shapes. There are other rules you'll find in Gallery 1: Most Flattering Glasses for You.
- Your frames must go with your outfit. Because of this, you might want to invest in a few pairs of glasses so you can mix and match frames to outfits.
- Don't overdo the accessories. If you have a pair of signature glasses that stand out, you don't want to overwhelm your look with a lot of jewelry and heavy scarves. Less is always more.
To check out the photos, which I think are stellar, start with Gallery 1.