Article by Anne Sutherland, prettyforprom.com
Even the most beautiful prom dress is just a dress without the makeup, nails, and other beauty treatments to accompany it. Prom night beauty involves much more than simply buying a dress, shoes, and accessories. To stand out at your prom, you will also need to beautify and polish yourself to perfection. Follow the makeup and nail tips below to make your appearance worthy of the red carpet on prom night.
MakeupOn prom night, makeup can be a girls best friend. Makeup allows you to play up desirable features for a beautiful, eye-catching appearance. Even if you do not normally wear much makeup, it is important to apply at least a minimal amount to make your face stand out and cover any unfortunate marks or blemishes. To create an unforgettable prom night appearance, check out the four makeup looks below.
Bright, Sultry EyesIf your eyes are your best feature and you would like to showcase them on prom night, choose this look for prom. When creating the look, begin with your eye makeup so that you can correct any errors or spills without ruining the rest of your makeup. Follow these steps:
1. First, rub a small amount of foundation into your lids to cover any visible veins and even out your skin tone. This step is especially important if you have a fair complexion.
2. Next, choose a bright, intense color to wear around your eyes. Lavender and purple shades are flattering to most skin tones and complement many different prom dresses.
3. Once you have applied the bright color around the eyes, use a softer shade for your lids.
4. Finish the look with a single coat of mascara on your top lashes. Leave your bottom lashes naked to prevent any smears that could occur during the night.
Because you are drawing most of the attention to your eyes, keep the rest of your makeup low key. Use a neutral, glossy shade for your lips, and a small amount of cream blush for a bit of color in your cheeks. Remember to set your makeup with a coat of loose powder for a long-lasting look.
Rosy, Fresh CheeksFor an innocent, girl-next-door look on prom night, follow these steps to showcase your rosy cheeks and fresh femininity.
1. Start the look by using a small amount of foundation sparingly on any blemishes or uneven patches of skin.
2. If you have any marks that foundation will not cover, use a concealer first and set it with loose powder.
3. Apply a cream blush in a rosy shade to your cheeks, beginning at the apple of your cheeks and blending outward. Be sure to blend the blush well so that you do not end up with a garish, frightening look.
4. Apply a lengthening coat of mascara to your lashes. If you have light or sparse eyelashes, add a second coat after the first coat dries for a darker, fuller appearance. Then, add just a swipe of mascara to your lower lashes for a bit of extra length, but be careful to avoid any globs or bunching.
5. Complete the look with a glossy shade of lipstick in rosy pink or peach. Remember to keep a tube of your lip color with you so you can reapply, if necessary, during the prom.
Glamorous and ShimmeryIf you have a glamorous prom dress or would like to catch the light and eyes of onlookers on the dance floor, follow these steps for attention-grabbing glamour.
1. Begin the look by blending a medium brown shade of eye shadow into your lids.
2. Use glittery eyeliner in gold or silver to draw a thick line just above your lashes. Extend the line slightly beyond the outer corners of your eyes for some extra glamour. Keep your eyes closed for a minute or two to allow the liner to dry and prevent any smears.
3. Add a double coat of black mascara to your upper lashes to make your eyes look bigger and darker. Then, apply a light coat of mascara to your lower lashes.
4. Use a cream blush with some shimmer or sparkle in it to add some color and freshness to your cheeks. Blush is especially important if you are wearing a white or light-colored prom dress that could wash your face out.
5. Complete the look with a glossy shade of lipstick that includes shimmer and sparkle. Your face will glow and catch the light all night.
Simple and MatteYou should choose this look if you do not normally wear makeup and do not want to overwhelm any of your friends on prom night.
1. Begin by drawing a thin line close to your lashes with light brown eyeliner. The eyeliner will emphasize your eyes a bit.
2. To give your eyes a slightly more open look, apply a small amount of cream or light brown shadow to your lids.
3. Finish your eyes with a single coat of mascara on the upper lashes. Add slightly more mascara to the outer edges of your lashes for a more dramatic appearance.
4. To even out your skin tone and decrease shine, use a powder blush in a light pink shade and finish with a coat of tinted loose powder.
5. For matte lips with just the right amount of color, outline your lips first with a lip liner and then fill them in with a lip pencil. Complete the look with a matte lipstick in a matching shade. Your color will last all night!