The Bottom Line
- Database of good and bad companies is easy to use
- Excellent resource for concerned beauty product users
- You can sign up for a free newsletter alerting you to news
- Not much con about this page
- Skin Deep is a personal care product safety guide with in-depth information on 14,835 products.
- They list 1,051 brands of lotion, lip balm, deodorant, sunscreen and other popular products.
- Skin Deep provides safety ratings and brand-by-brand comparisons.
Guide Review - Beauty Watchdog Organization
What's frightening is that according to the Environmental Working Group's excellent Skin Deep database, the US government cannot mandate safety studies of cosmetics. Only 11 percent of the 10,500 ingredients the FDA has documented in products have been assessed for safety by the cosmetic industry's review panel.
Use this database to sort through your favorite beauty products to see how they rate. We especially find the lists of the 'highest concern brands' and the 'lowest concern brands' helpful.