If you, like me, have a long face shape there are hairstyles that look good and hairstyles that look bad on you. Here are some rules when considering a hairstyle for a long (or "oblong" face shape):
1. If you have straight hair, you can create more width with bangs. Bangs make your face appear shorter because they cover up a particularly large forehead. You can wear anything from blunt bangs to long, side-swept bangs. Learn more in Best Bangs by Face Shape.
2. Chin-length bobs and cuts are also ideal for you because they create the illusion of width.
3. Long, straight hair is typically a no-no on a long face shape because it drags the face down. However, you can break this "no long hair" rule if you have waves or curls. A lot of body adds width to the sides of the face.
4. Consider the uber-trendy long bob (as seen here on actress Adrianne Palicki), which is very flattering on a long face. The length is perfect, as is her soft waves. Ask your stylist for an "A-line Long Bob" where the back is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the front.
5. If you like short hair, avoid short layers that add volume on top.