1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Today's New York Times: 'Would You Like a Tummy Tuck With That C-Section?'

By October 4, 2007

More and more mothers are turning to the knife to fix all their saggy, loose parts, according to the New York Times style section today. (Check out the article). Hot moms are a new trend and totally celebrated in the media (hello Angelina! Reese! Jennifer Garner!) so it's no surprise that non-Hollywood moms are feeling the pressure to go under the knife for a boob-lift, tummy tuck and a bit of lipo. Cost of the "mommy makeover" (the name itself is a big sales tactic among plastic surgeons): about $10,000-$30,000.

Hey moms -- what do you think about this trend? Would you go under the knife if money wasn't an issue? Was it super hard to get back in shape after baby?

Comments

October 5, 2007 at 10:51 am
(1) Bionic Beauty says:

No thanks! I haven’t had a baby or a C-section, but I *have* had 4 abdominal Gyn surgeries this year and I’m proud of my scars. Yes the swelling is a bit frustrating, but it shows that I am a strong woman who has endured more than most people have the strength for. :)

October 6, 2007 at 3:09 pm
(2) Shea Jandt says:

HI there! I have 2 beautiful kids the first 8 and my newest edition at 2months old… Both by C-section. I absolutley would NEVER go under the knife and I can honsetly say that I am alomost back in shape completely only after 2 months. I find it sad that these women even stars are so victim to hollywood that they have to feel it is necessary to go to such extremes,, I mean a c-section is painful enough as well as the recovery. I can’t imagine having all of the other procedures to boot.. It’s actually very hillarious, when I was doing a consult right before my due date with my insurance company, they called me for my final out of pocket estimate and she asked me if I would be having a tummy tuck I laughed so hard in disbeleif and said WHAT? are you serious? I can’t beleive that society has it’s grip in us WOMEN!!! Well,,, that’s what I have to say— Oh ,,, and by the way… I am a MODEL….

S.

October 8, 2007 at 9:15 pm
(3) Kristin M. says:

Well, I have to say (and I may be speaking for other mom’s out there)I am NOT a model and I wouldn’t mind a little bit of help in the “post-partum” body category! Societal pressure? Maybe. But, hilarious or not, all women deserve to feel good about their bodies, ESPECIALLY after having children! So, why don’t we just support one another in our choices, whether or not we would make those same choices for ourselves? As for me, after 3 C-sections in 14 years, I’m as giddy as a school girl in anticipation of MY “mommy makeover”!!!

October 11, 2007 at 2:13 am
(4) Jennifer says:

I am currently pregnant with my 5th son, the oldest being 9 and this one due in Jan 08. I have pondered a Mommy Makeover since my 3rd child. I DO want to be sure I am finished having children before going under the knife. I personally feel that I can’t get back to a “pre-pregnancy” state without some form of surgical help. I have however lost all the weight several times post-partum, but for me, there’s more to it than being the same weight. I like to feel attractive without having to spend $50 on a bra to put my larger than average breasts at a normal height, I have nursed all of my children and this too takes a toll. I hate that my children point out that I have “bumps” in my upper thighs. Let me state too that I do workout and eat right, I have an Army Officer husband who has won a couple body building competitions and is a Mixed Martial Arts Black Belt holder, so I can’t really have too much junk in the house and have a never ending gym membership(that I use). I don’t feel a societal pressure to “look great” I feel a personal one. My husband is quite happy with how I look, but I’m NOT! and I don’t think it’s funny in the least nor do I feel that people should degrade me for wanting to feel good about myself, even if it means surgically repairing what motherhood has taken apart. Again, just my own personal feelings on the subject.
The truth in the matter though, lies in that money is an issue in such things, so this will remain a “desire” for me.

October 12, 2007 at 3:27 pm
(5) Anne says:

Every woman has the right to decide for herself, but as someone who had 3 c-sections in 5 years, I can honestly say that you CAN come back from it and be better than ever. It takes commitment and hard work – there is no easy way around that. You also have to become educated on proper nutrition and exercise – not buy into what all of the women’s magazines try to sell (fad diets, lots of aerobic activity), because a lot of that information is very inaccurate in terms of successful weight loss and maintenance.

A quick fix like a tummy tuck, is not the answer in my opinion… sure, it might work in the short term, but will the person have the commitment and self-discipline to maintain?

When you’ve made a lifestyle change and have incorporated a sound exercise and nutrition program into your daily life, I think you stand a better chance of achieving the look you want.

October 19, 2007 at 3:54 pm
(6) tami says:

No amount of exercise and good nutrition will fix these saggy boobs from breast feeding four children. I have often considered the mommy make over; I am a fitness instructor and enthusiast. Money is a huge obstacle – but the other is health. Heard of a lady dying on the lipo table! NOT WORTH A LIFE.

May 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(7) Amy Lamb says:

Well…..I am a mother of 2 girls…6 and 2…I actually am geting ready for my “mommy maker over in 1 Week! I can’t wait. I think everybody has there own opinon and that’s fine, but for me I am choosing to go “under the knife” I think It will bring back my self confidence that has been missing for over 6 years and I will fianlly be able to wear a 2 piece swimming suit again. I am 26 years old and I want to look it. It is expensive but in my opinon it’s $$ well spent. The best money I will ever spend on myself. Thanks for listening!

April 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm
(8) Jane H. says:

This article was posted in Beauty Tips For Women Over 50. Think you better recategorize it. Somehow, I don’t believe there are any women over 50 undergoing c-sections.

April 27, 2010 at 12:29 am