- Wash hair, then prep with a foam gel. Blow dry hair. "You don't have to blow it straight, just blow it," says Licari.
- Pull hair over to the side, securing it with elastic. Wrap the hair in a messy twist (you will want long-ish hair for this, of course).
- Pin hair with bobby pins. If you have thin hair, back comb hair to add more texture. Also consider not washing hair for a couple days and applying baby powder or a dry hair shampoo to make hair less glossy and more manageable.
- Because you don't want hair to be perfect (according to Licari, imperfect is "perfect" for this look), pull out a few strands along the side of the face and don't brush hair before pulling it into that side twist.
- Pair this look with strong, smokey eyes. Go an extra step and add color (like purple or blue) to the lids. "Color is the trend this season on the eye," Licari says.