Adult acne is very different from teen acne. Instead of getting pimples on your forehead and cheeks, adult acne sufferers tend to get acne on their chin and around the mouth. It is estimated that one in 5 adult women suffer from adult acne.
See my comprehensive article, 8 Adult Acne Facts (Plus, How to Treat it).
So how to fight it? I've done the research and found the best 'tried and true' acne products that will help dry up your pimples.
Combat the Acne Before it DevelopsSince most adult acne begins with blackheads, keep those blackheads at bay with a good scrub. Instead of the abrasive, grainy scrubs with sugar or salt particles which can tear at skin, instead scrub skin chemically by way of alpha-hydroxy acids (read about alpha-hydroxy acids here).
A few great scrubs include:
- Lancome Pure Focus Deep Pore Refining Scrub.
- A salicylic acid cleanser like Bliss Clog Dissolving Cleansing Milk are fantastic for cleansing pores.
- I love Biore Pore Perfect Strips for getting rid of blackheads that develop on and around the nose.
Best Spot TreatmentsIf you have a just a couple pimples that you want to dry up fast, your best bet might be a spot treatment. These products work by delivering a concentrated dose of medicine to your pimple and the best ones contain moisturizing agents that won't dry up the area you're treating.
The best spot treatment products are:
- Proactiv Advanced Blemish Treatment (call 800-950-4695)
- Sonya Dakar's drying potion (call 800-72-SONYA).
- Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel
- Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Gel
- Mario Badescu Drying Lotion
Treat the Entire AreaWhen you suffer from a face full of acne, you may find it's best to treat the entire area.
Great products include cleansers, such as:
- Oil-free, non-acnegenic cleansers. I like Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
- Neutrogena Oil-free Cleanser.
- IS Clinical Pro-Heal Serum, helps battle aging by urging on collagen production while preventing breakouts. Ingredients include a potent mix of vitamin E, vitamin C, retinol and olive-leaf extract.
- Proactiv Solution 3-step System is a classic kit that is well-known for treating blemishes. It has also received a lot of negative press, so I would do research on this product before buying.
- Mario Badescu Drying Lotion is another program that is highly recommended.
- My friends with acne personally recommend MD Skincare All-Over Blemish Solution
- L'Oreal Acne Response Daily Adult Acne Regimen is a 3-step program that is also highly recommended.
You can see a full list of these products and more in Best Products for Acne-Prone Skin.
More on Acne:
- 8 Adult Acne Facts (Plus, How to Treat it)
- Acne & Teens: How to Treat Pimples (& Cover Them Up)
- Aspirin & Lemon Juice Mask for Acne
- Why Do I Get ‘Back Acne’?
- 5 Reasons Your Acne Isn't Going Away