If you've landed on this slideshow, you probably think you have a long face. Long faces are basically faces that are quite a bit longer than they are wide. And if that's you, then congratulations. I hereby welcome you to the Long Face Shape Club, of which I am president.
If you, like me, have a long face shape there are hairstyles that look good and hairstyles that look not-so-great on you. Here are some rules when considering a hairstyle for a long (or "oblong" face shape):
- The most flattering haircut ever on a long face shape is shoulder-length. It's the perfect length (somewhere between chin and shoulders) and is so popular, it made my list of the The Year's Top 20 Trends. I mean, how amazing is this hairstyle on actress Adrianne Palicki?
- Your goal is to create width.The very best way to do this is with waves, like these on Palicki.
- Consider getting bangs. Bangs make your face appear shorter because they cover up a particularly large forehead. You can wear anything from blunt bangs to long, side-swept bangs. Learn more in Best Bangs by Face Shape.
- Your part matters. A lot. Your best bet is a side part, which makes your face appear wider. The trendy center part is super popular at the moment, but will make your face appear even longer than it is. Leave the side parts to the square and round faces.
- Chin-length bobs like the ones in my gallery The Best Bobs Ever are also ideal for you because they create the illusion of width.
- Long, straight hair is typically a no-no on a long face shape because it drags the face down. However, you can break this "no long hair" rule if you have waves or curls. A lot of body adds width to the sides of the face. See How to Curl Hair: The Secret to Sexy, "Beachy" Waves.
- Consider the uber-trendy long bob, which is very flattering on a long face. The length is perfect, as is her soft waves. Ask your stylist for an "A-line Long Bob" where the back is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the front.
- If you like short hair, avoid short layers that add volume on top. Don't spike up your short hair. Just don't.
In this gallery, I show off 20 gorgeous hairstyles for women like us with long face shapes. You'll find a wealth of information. Have fun browsing and learning!
More on face shapes:
- The Best Short Hairstyles for Long Faces
- Not sure if you have a long (oblong) face shape? Find out exactly what face shape you have.
- See other flattering haircuts for oval, long and square faces.
- Not everyone should worry about her face shape, find out if you should in Does Your Face Shape Really Matter?