I have several friends who wax their own legs and have done so for years. They report it's quite easy and the more you do it, the more you get a hang of it. Also, they SWEAR the hair grows in less over time.
- Ensure hair is long enough to wax. Hair needs to grow out 1/4 inch (the wax needs hair to stick to). If the hair on your legs is too long, you can use an electric hair trimmer (like guys use to get their own buzz cuts).
- Two days before, exfoliate legs to remove dead skin. Don't do this right before the leg wax, because you run the risk of inflammation.
- Apply a light amount of baby powder to skin. Baby powder removes oils helping the wax stick better to hair.
- You'll need a waxing kit that comes with a wooden applicator, strips and wax. You can find good waxing kits online. Sugar washes off easier, so you might consider a sugaring kit. You can also shop for good sugaring kits online.
Heat wax in microwave or by immersing container in warm water (follow the package instructions because methods vary widely).
- Work in small sections. Apply wax in the direction of hair growth. For proper application hold the stick at a 90-degree angle and apply a smooth, thin layer.
- Before wax cools, firmly press strip to wax in the direction of hair growth. Smooth the strip with your hand.
- To remove strip, peel it in the opposite direction of hair growth. Don't pull straight up, it's less painful to keep the strip as close to skin as possible. If the area stings it can help to apply pressure on immediately after the strip removal.
- Apply a lotion containing salycylic acid to prevent ingrown hairs. Try Bliss ingrown hair eliminating pads
- To remove excess wax on skin use a body oil. Do not try to remove wax with hot water. Also consider a sugaring kit. Sugar washes off much easier than wax.
- If you're using Retin A Renova or Accutane don't wax that area of the skin. You're much more susceptible to rashes and irritation.
- Take 2 ibuprofen pills an hour before your treatment to cut down on the pain.
What You Need
- Wax kit (comes with the spatula, wax and strips)
- Hairy legs
- Post-waxing cream (see Step 8 above for product info)