It's winter and if you're like me, you practically have to force yourself out of the shower every morning. I could practically live in mine. There's nothing like hot steam to warm me up in the mornings and right before bed.
But these hot showers always lead to dry, itchy skin for me. My skin can get so dry, I scratch my legs until they bleed. Furnaces and heat in buildings here in New York also don't help. They also sap my skin of its moisture. Winters can be hell on my skin. To keep skin moist, try these tips I swear by:
- Take lukewarm, shorter showers in the winter. If you can't tolerate lukewarm, at least keep the heat to the absolute minimum you can be comfortable with.
- Skip baths, hot tubs and steam rooms. (Sorry!)
- Exfoliate in the shower once a week. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells and allows the moisturizer to soak in better.
- Slather yourself in baby oil, extra virgin coconut oil or a thick moisturizer immediately after your bath or shower.
- Sleep with a humidifier in your bedroom.
Find out many more awesome tips in Dry Skin? 25 of My Best Itchy Skin Fixes.