1. Style
Julyne Derrick

How to Get Rid of Scaly Lips

By February 15, 2013

Because it's the middle of February and we are all likely suffering the effects of wind-blown, scaly lips, I've decided to remind everyone of The Best Lip Exfoliating Tip of All Time, which I learned from a teen magazine in my youth and have been practicing ever since.

If you have scaly lips, simply lather on Vaseline, rub it in well, then take an old toothbrush and massage with the toothbrush the Vaseline into your lips in a circular motion. You'll find the toothbrush exfoliates, while the Vaseline moisturizes. Wipe mouth with a warm, damp washcloth and voila! No more scales! Repeat a couple times a day until lips are soft and smooth.

Try this and you will love me forever.

Extra tip: Everyone knows at least one Carmex user who is obviously addicted. But is lip balm really addictive? I answer that here.

Comments

January 28, 2007 at 8:33 pm
(1) Kim says:

Another great solution for “scaly lips” is a product by Mary Kay, Inc. “Satin Lips Lip Mask”. It goes a long way for the price and to hydrate your lips daily use “Satin Lip Balm”.
Check out the product on my website at
email me at kimmy1@verizon.net
kim

January 30, 2007 at 8:37 am
(2) Joana says:

I have used Aloe Lips lip balm by Forever Living and Vaseline Petroleum jelly all my life. They’re inexpensive, yes. However, it’s very drying and it makes you reapply frequently. I have just purchased Chanel SOIN TENDRE LEVRES and what a find! I only get to apply once a day and my lips are so relax, less wrinkled, soft, supple and it’s not drying. Check out the website above.

March 27, 2007 at 10:12 am
(3) Kim Lacy says:

check out my link to find great lip and skin care products. http://www.renewyou.blogspot.com
Kim Lacy

April 24, 2009 at 10:59 am
(4) vikki says:

hey yeah these are really good tips im going to cosmetology school and this should help me out thank you

February 23, 2011 at 12:50 pm
(5) Eric says:

Excellent tip… It works…

February 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm
(6) zoe says:

If your lips are in poor shape or sensitive, try vaseline and a washcloth first. If they survive that, later that day, use the toothbrush. Clean the brush after every use with liquid soap and hot water.

Sometimes I do lips and cuticles together after I get out of the shower. I vaseline them up and pluck my eyebrows or whatever and then I lightly scrub my lips and then the cuticles and push them back with the cloth. I use the cloth then to scub itself clean as I clean my fingers of vaseline. Then I apply cream. I have never had to trim my cuticles because of it.

February 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(7) Pam says:

The Rosebud lip balm that you turned me onto a few months ago cleared up my cracked lips in a week. I abosultely swear by it the keep a can upstairs, downstairs and in my purse. It’s a shame that more places don’t carry it.
I’ve sent a recommendation for Trader Joe’s and Mother’s Market to look at it!

Thank you, Thank you!

February 23, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(8) Tia says:

The Vaseline does work. To keep my lips from scaling, I use the Blistex in the white tube. I have one in every purse, the bathroom, gym bag and car. I have to use it under my lipstick or gloss; otherwise, those things make my lips scale too.

February 26, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(9) bjd says:

another trick that works is vaseline and sugar mixed together. The Body Shop sells this fancy stuff, and if you read the ingredients…that is all it is!

March 8, 2011 at 8:27 am
(10) how to get rid of says:

April 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(11) Judi says:

Can you do an article on how to minimize lip lines/lip wrinkles?

Every time I wear matte lipstick the lipstick settles into the lines in my lips. The lipstick does not feather or bleed but makes my lips look very old and deceives my younger age.

Thanks in advance if you choose to do an article about this!

April 5, 2011 at 10:35 am
(12) beauty says:

Hi Judi, have you tried applying a lip balm first? Burt’s Bees makes balms that are lovely. You then apply the lipstick over the balm. This way the balm settles into the wrinkles, not the lipstick.

April 9, 2011 at 12:37 am
(13) Judi says:

I did not apply balm for this particular look but I did line and fill my lips with a nude lip liner first.

I think it may be the lipstick itself. It was a MAC lipstick but in a matte finish. I think the matte formula is what caused my lips to look prune-y and exaggerate lip wrinkles. I don’t have that issue with Rimmel lasting finish lipsticks, for example.

I will definitely try a balm with it next time and update you! Thank you Julyne! :)

April 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm
(14) rose says:

Hi ok so I know u recommended using burtsbees b4 lip stick but I have one major problem IM ALLERGIC TO BEES WAX my lips get itchy n swollen BC I’m allergic to bees so I have to use things that are petroleum jelly based .. that being said if I do that b4 I put on my lip stick it makes it to glossy n the lip liner bleeds .. any advice in preventing the lipstick from setting in my lip lines????

May 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(15) beauty says:

Have you tried Chapstick?

February 23, 2013 at 6:00 am
(16) web presentation training says:

Well done friend that’s excellent