1. Style
Julyne Derrick

The Many Miracle Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar

By November 16, 2012

I'm always looking for organic, natural alternatives to the store-bought stuff because aside from being sick of the marketing behind all the beauty products out there (my in-box is like one big beggar fest from PR people asking me to plug their products), I feel better when my life is simple and uncomplicated.

Enter apple cider vinegar. If you have use hair products like hairspray, styling gel or mousse on a regular basis, your hair is likely suffering from product build-up. Apple cider vinegar helps break down this residue, adds body and will even help fight dandruff. There are many ways to use it. Here are some of my favorites:

• A clarifying shampoo: Once a week, add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (use more or less depending on the length and thickness of your hair) to your shampoo. Rinse and then apply conditioner.
  • A hair rinse: Mix 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar into a quart of water. Shake it up and then pour it into a spray bottle. Keep it in the shower to spray on hair after you shampoo. Watch how your hair responds. You may find you don't need to condition hair. You can even leave the rinse in without rinsing it out. The smell will dissipate as the hair dries.
  • Dandruff fighter: Apply capfuls of full-strength apple cider vinegar to the scalp and massage in. Leave on for 30 minutes before rinsing.

Unfortunately, apple cider vinegar is not recommended for color-treated or processed hair. It may strip hair of color.

Comments

November 25, 2010 at 7:26 am
(1) Nav says:

This was really helpful. But is there any alternative way to use this product in coloured hair??

November 25, 2010 at 9:20 am
(2) Dan says:

The hair and scalp are both healthiest when slightly acidic, however most of our shampoos and conditioners are rather alkaline and leave our hair more basic as well. That’s another part of the reason that an occasional apple cider vinegar and water rinse can really restore the health and shine of your hair, while its naturally antibiotic and antibacterial characteristics fight the causes of dandruff and itchiness.
Daniel P. Kray
Author, “Apple Cider Vinegar: A Modern Folk Remedy” available from major retailers through Earth Clinic.

November 25, 2010 at 9:44 am
(3) beauty says:

Daniel, thank you for your comments! If you have any apple cider vinegar recipes email me at (beauty.guide@about.com) and I’ll publish them, attributing them to you with a link to buy your book. — Julyne

December 1, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(4) Jennifer says:

I have a recurring dandruff problem and nothing was helping so I starting rinsing my hair with it and it’s the only thing that works when I get it. Only thing I don’t like is if my hair gets wet afterward (say in the rain or snow) it smells a bit vinegary. But I can’t complain–it works.

December 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm
(5) teresabrewer says:

Have in years gone past used vinegar as a hair rinse, its very affective, thank you.

December 2, 2010 at 2:07 am
(6) Glamiva says:

Great advice, thanks!

December 2, 2010 at 6:38 am
(7) simran says:

i agree that vineger works well on scalp……to fight dandruff…we can also use yogurt, just plain natural set yogurt, just apply on scalp and hairs leave for 30 minutes and then wash as normal. its my personal remedy and i use it once in two weeks, it make my hairs soft, reduce dandruff and…i love it….make sure u keep ur self warm after applying as in this weather…. you might feel very cold after applying and waiting for 30 mins to pass…….

December 4, 2010 at 7:56 pm
(8) Layla says:

Bummer – I think almost every woman I know colors her hair!

December 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(9) beauty says:

Layla, I think you could try it anyway, it’s just recommended not to be used on hair that’s been colored, but people breaks rules all the time with no harm done. If you are careful to place the vinegar on the scalp itself and not on the hair, it’s probably even better.

December 7, 2010 at 6:58 pm
(10) Veena says:

Apple Cider Vinegar is: Good for hair but also good for your hole body. I have read in magazine about apple cider
vinegar.After that i been using as medicine every day.

November 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(11) Brenda says:

My hair is coming out by the handful. I hate to wash it or comb it because it comes out so badly. I do have dandruff and a itchy scalp from time to time. also was told that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. Now taking Vitamin D 1000 I.U. Will the apple cider vinegar work for me ? PLEASE HELP!!!!

November 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm
(12) Brenda says:

Hi I have a vitamin D deficiency, and is losing a great amount of hair everyday. I hate to wash or even comb it because it comes out alot int the comb and brush. I do have dandruff and itchy scalp from time to time. Can the apple vinegar help my hair loss alone with the vitamin D 1000 I.U. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

November 23, 2012 at 1:52 am
(13) Martha says:

Hey! I LOVE Apple Cider Vinegar!

I read about Apple Cider Vinegar to remove warts and OH MY GOSH! It really worked!
You may not think this is a beauty treatment but the wart was on the bottom of my foot which prevented me from getting a pedicure :(
I tried the over the counter remedy’s however NONE worked. I’m all for going to natural safe remedy’s and this really did work :)
Hate the smell, but I don’t care anymore,LOL.

January 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
(14) George says:

Can you use white vinegar full stength on your scalp for psoriasis? I also have new hair after chemo, my usual psoriasis medicine has thinned out my chemo hair and the maker of the product admits that it does. They also don’t know if the hair comes back. What a bummer.!!! What do you think of using the vinegar, full strength then rinsing it out? I could then try a little psoriasis shampoo.

signed haven’t a clue but still have some hair

January 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm
(15) mary says:

I have read some great comments about vinegar, and i am going to try some of them because i suffer with very bad dandruff itchy scalp. I also suffer with psoiasis on my body.

January 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm
(16) Sunnytrin says:

I’d be interested in anyone’s experiences with vinegar on scalp psoriasis. I have it and have tried different shampoos with no luck. Would be great if this would help!

March 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(17) Kathleen says:

does cider vinegar help restore hair? I am 62 yrs and my hair is thinning on top in front?

July 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm
(18) applemoon says:

I put the a.c.v directly on my scalp but ooh my god it gets in my eyes. So far my scalp is not that itchy and my hair looks good except for a little frizzy due to having wavy hair. I also have allot of hair loss and I do not have a vitamin D deficiency but I do have dandruff so maybe that’s what causes it I take Biotin 1x daily.

August 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm
(19) Erica says:

I have had dandruff and even severe scalp problems for over 12 years.I have tried just about every anit-dandruff, natural shampoo and even using nothing. I have tried A.C.V in the past but the wrong measurement. And nothing worked. I keep searching using google for something that will work so I decided to try the ACV 3 weeks and this time using one tablespoon of A.C.V to a cup of water. It worked and is still working!!!! Somedays I even skipped a day and three days ago I tried another shampoo to test and see when or if the dandruff will come back and so far no dandruff or crusty or itch!!!

April 7, 2014 at 11:01 am
(20) ghaf says:

Would you please let me know apple cider vinegar restore grey hair or not if it does how ? I am actually not worry about my hairs but I do worry about my beards I did usemany type of products to return my grey hair but noting works but I had research about apple cider vinegar there is many people say yes it does reverse hair would you please say something about and email thanx