1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Eyeshadow Primer: The Secret to Keeping Eyeshadow in Place

By November 14, 2012

About 3 years ago, I bought new eyeshadow and eye primer at Sephora and I wrote about it here on this blog. I had never in my life gotten compliments on eyeshadow from men but the week I bought the shadow and used it over the primer I did. Who says guys don't notice a new haircut? Some of them notice shadow.

I still wear that eyeshadow and eye primer, so I decided I had to blog AGAIN about it. I have yet to find a better shadow and primer. Here they are: Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion paired with Christian Dior's amazing 5-colour eyeshadow palettes, the pigments of which are rich, rich, rich, unlike Chanel's eyeshadow which I also tried and found to be way too "barely there."

The primer keep the shadow in place for hours and even overnight if I forget to remove my makeup, which I did over the weekend once.

More on eyeshadows:

Photo: Urban Decay Primer

Comments

December 2, 2009 at 1:35 pm
(1) Martha says:

What color pallet did you use in the Dior Shadow? I have fair skin and blue eyes but they all seem really “bright” colors:)

December 2, 2009 at 6:18 pm
(2) Bonnie says:

Incognito 030 is your color. I have golden blonde hair, ivory skin & dark blue eyes. Orange is the opposite of blue on the color wheel, so I wear peachy & brown shades. Peach makes blue POP.

December 2, 2009 at 6:23 pm
(3) Melany says:

Can concealer be used as as eyeshadow primer?

December 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(4) Jen Adkins says:

I really think that every woman should have Urban Decay’s primer in their arsenal! Love it!

December 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm
(5) beauty says:

Hi Martha & Bonnie,

I chose Earth Reflection 609 and bought at Sephora, where you can try out eyeshadows right there in the store. Many of the other palettes were too strong for my fair skin, but this stuff is AMAZING. I even showed a saleswoman at the Yves St. Laurent counter at Saks my choice and she agreed the color was perfect. Bonnie’s right. To bring out blues eyes, you should consider golds and browns.

Melany: Some women do use concealer as primer, but I find while it works to cover blue veins on the lid, my Bobbi Brown concealer doesn’t “hold” the shadow well. You might try yours and see if it works. Maybe I just have extra greasy lids!

Jen: Yes!!!!

Julyne

December 5, 2009 at 3:16 am
(6) ayse says:

What about for brown eyes? Which ones do you recommend from Christian Dior?

December 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm
(7) Julyne says:

Ayse,

You are lucky, brown eyes are very versatile when it comes to eyeshadows. What you want to consider is the shade of your brown eyes and your skin tone. If you have olive skin and dark eyes, you can get away with some of the Dior palettes with purple in them like Petal Shine. Lighter skin tones look great with brown shadows like Dior’s Earth Reflection or Parisian Lights. You can even get away with pinks and greens. Dior’s Tropical Light palette has both.

July 27, 2010 at 8:48 am
(8) Anji says:

Hello,

I have a wheatish brown skin with black eyes.Could you please guide me for good eyeshadow shades and foundation for my skin.I have a normal skin.

Thanks in advance.

March 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(9) Abby says:

I am really pale, brown hair but I dyed it blonde, and I have blue green eyes. How do I get my eyes to POP? What colors should I use?

July 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(10) metaboliccookingreviewed.com says:

Hi, this weekend is good designed for me, as this moment i am reading this wonderful informative post here at my
residence.