1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Natural Cures for Dandruff & Scalp Build-up

By October 30, 2012

If you suffer from dandruff, I read that alternating between Neutrogena T-Gel and Head & Shoulders is the best tried-and-true scaly scalp remedy, but if you hesitate to put chemicals on your head, you can try a few folk remedies that the organically-prone recommend:

1. Brush hair thoroughly before shampooing. A vigorous brushing will loosen dandruff and promote a healthy scalp. The distribution of your scalp's natural oils is also good for hair.

2. Apple cider vinegar is supposedly good for the scalp. Mix in one part apple cider vinegar with one part water (my best guess is one cup of each). Once you've shampooed, apply the mixture to scalp, massaging in. Do not rinse. Towel dry hair and let the mixture dry onto scalp. Rinse 8-10 hours later. You can also place undiluted apple cider vinegar onto scalp. Let it dry and rinse 2 hours later.

3. Massage coconut oil into scalp, shampoo, then rinse. Keep this up until the dandruff clears up. My instinct says this will cause really greasy hair, but some people swear by coconut oil. I suggest avoiding this if you have oily hair and trying something else. It might be great for people with dry hair.

I haven't tried any of the above remedies so I can't personally vouch for any of them, but I had to share them with you in case you want to try them and weigh in below.

Comments

October 3, 2010 at 1:11 pm
(1) mick says:

Some people get clinical dandruff (large yellowish, greasy scaly flakes) confused with dry scalp (small, white, sugar-snow like flakes). Head and shoulders will be too harsh for dry scalp and will increase the dryness, increasing your “dandruff”, keeping you purchasing head-n-shoulders.

Apple vinegar works well for dryness because it maintains your hairs PH balance which contributes to dryness. It is my regular rinse and makes hair squeaky shiny (smell disappears after hair is totally dry). Flat Beer is a great second best but I find the smell doesn’t dissipate as well (maybe the type of beer makes a difference–Budweiser not so much).

For Shampoo, I find a castille soap works better than coconut oil for my normal to oily, thick but fine, hair–the scalp of which gets very dry in my northern winters with canned air, etc. but which can also get easily weighed down. I cannot speak highly enough of a diluted Dr. Bronner’s tea tree (antiseptic) and peppermint. They’ve got a whole line out now of premixed formulas and smells but I’ve not tried them yet. Tend to stick with what works.

Also for blondes with dry itchy scalp, a chamomile (tea) rinse is soothing and will give non-colored hair a bit of a golden shine to perk up winter dullness. Uncolored Brunettes should try green, black or –most especially–rosemary tea. Rosemary will add a deepness to dark hair and they say it colors out gray over time. I have friends who swear by it but I’m a blonde so I go for the chamo.

What also helps for flake build-up is to give your hair/scalp a good even stroking with a natural bristle brush BEFORE you shampoo and to massage your dry scalp a bit with your fingers to loosen and lift the hair. Loosens up those flakes to helps them move along with the soap and water…like exfoliating your face.

October 8, 2010 at 6:08 am
(2) Spa and Beauty Salon says:

Dandruff is another very common problem faced by many. Some good home remedies for dandruff are-

Rub in a lot of aloevera gel into your scalp 15-20 minutes before your hair wash. Wash with a mild shampoo and see the difference over some time.

Vinegar is considered as a good treatment for dandruff. Dilute vinegar with water and use on scalp before wash for about 30 mins. Then rinse off with a mild shampoo.

Olive oil is also considered as a good home remedy to smother dandruff.

If you still face the trouble, then get advice from the Hair Expert.

October 14, 2010 at 1:04 am
(3) Sasa says:

Oil your hair nicely with coconut or olive oil before washing. Then wash your hair with some curd. Your hair might feel greasy afterwards. You can wash your hair of with some good shampoo a few days later if you find them too sticky. Trust me, washing with curd really works. A lot of dandruff disappears right after first wash. It is my tried- and- tested method. BUT DO TRY IT FIRST ON A SMALL SECTION OF HAIR IN CASE IT DOES NOT SUITS YOU.

October 19, 2010 at 1:59 am
(4) bellevue chiropractor says:

When I was younger, I used to have dandruff. My mom taught me how to avoid it. So, I did the number 3 (a massage coconut oil) into scalp before shampoo. And it worked for me. It’s really effective for people with dry hair. Massaging your hair with coconut oil really helps the dandruff clear up.

November 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(5) Chiropractor Bellevue says:

Apple cider vinegar works! Another trick is don’t wash your hair too often to keep your natural oil. I remember my dad using the apple cider and it was always a success….try it!

November 18, 2010 at 2:57 am
(6) Donna says:

I had a huge problem with large patches of very thick scaly scalp that would even at times bleed, also my hair was falling out in large quantities after several simultaneous surgeries. I made a mixture of one tablespoon olive oil, one tablespoon coconut oil, and 10 drops rosemary oil. I rubbed this all over my hair and wore a cap to bed, then in the morning I washed with a moisturizing shampoo. With time, my hair returned to its normal state and my scalp was totally healed from the intense scaling. Sometimes I occasionally get the scaly scalp again, so I just repeat the process once a week and it does the trick. With our diets being so messed up in essential fatty acids, its no wonder we have these problems.

May 17, 2011 at 6:26 am
(7) bee says:

can all this remedies work me? because am from nigeria in west africa

December 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(8) Lisa says:

@Donna, your thick, flaking scalp sounds like my psoriasis. What I have done is use the original gold colored listerine. I put it in a spray bottle, drench my scalp after I wash my hair. The itch and flaking goes away in less that 12 hours for me. I have tried all the OTC psoriasis shanpoos and treatments… athe listerine seems to be the only thig that helps. I read that a bacteria causes dandruff and psoriasis. Good luck. I am definately trying your recipe.

December 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(9) Tony says:

I didn’t know that about apple cider vineger and coconut oil is good for the scalp. Thanks for the info.