1. Style
Julyne Derrick

A Great Tip for the Bath or Shower

By August 26, 2012

If you want to give your skin a treat, slather organic extra virgin coconut oil after a baths. To keep the oils from ruining bedsheets and clothes, either apply the oil after the towel, massage in and then rub off the excess or while you are in the shower, after you cleanse, rub the oils on the body and then rinse off. The oil soaks into skin, trapping moisture but the water washes away the excess leaving skin dewy and baby soft.

Image: Pricegrabber

Comments

August 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm
(1) Cheryll says:

Nice tip….Thank you:)

August 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm
(2) Tehomet says:

Excellent, thanks. :)

August 11, 2010 at 6:54 pm
(3) Kathleen says:

Wonderful – I make my own scrubs and such with dead sea salt, natural sugars, essential oils, etc., and sometimes the oils left on my skin have done the same. Thanks for the tip. On another note, do you know if there is a way for self tanners to not stain your clothing – particularly silk, cotton and natural fabrics? Thanks!

August 13, 2010 at 9:57 am
(4) Linda C. says:

Yes, a nice idea—however, make sure you clean that tub out well before the next family member uses the shower, lest they wipe out in the oil slick. I have to make sure I do this after I use my LUSH Buffy body bar and rinse off.

August 16, 2010 at 4:46 pm
(5) Titilayo says:

Thank you for this wonderful tip. I’ll definitely try this as I got discouraged using this oil because of the associated fabric staining problems.

August 18, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(6) prachi says:

This is a traditonal way of keeping body mosturised in india. People use coconut oil, mustard oil, and or olive oil after bath and wash it off with the final rinse.
Even coconut oil is good for hair also.

August 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm
(7) Pam says:

This is a great tip. I have always used olive and coconut oil and this is perfect to rinse it off in the shower and still be luxuriously moisturized! Better than any lotion. Thanks!!

August 18, 2010 at 2:01 pm
(8) Denise Harkless says:

Great tip. I will try it. Thanks

August 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm
(9) Amanda says:

This is not very good idea. Not only will you be greasy, but so will your clothes, sheets, and tub. I do use olive oil on my face to remove makeup, but I use a normal cleanser after.

August 19, 2010 at 4:43 am
(10) naa kai says:

Am a bit confused. do you wipe the water off you skin, smear the oil,rinse off and then wipe again with a towel?

August 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm
(11) beauty says:

step out of the shower spray or turn off water after you cleanse. Rub oil all over, then rinse off excess oil with warm water. After the shower, pat skin dry with a towel.

August 19, 2010 at 9:13 am
(12) Sado-san says:

hey, instead of coconut oil can i use massage olive oil? btw, im 17 so is this tip ok for me 2 use? thanks!

August 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(13) Glamiva says:

Great tip! Thanks!

August 26, 2010 at 12:02 am
(14) sherry says:

I agreed to Amenda, it is too greasy. I have to clean the bathroom floor before leaving for the next family member. How about the baby oil without rinsing after shower?

September 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm
(15) Lauren says:

Coconut oil is wonderful for skin as is almond oil. I would be very careful if you are on septic. I used to use the salt/oil scrub and it really messed up the plumbing. Any kind of oil/grease has the potential to cause a lot of damage to a septic system. If you are on City water it may be ok, but I would still be careful.
A better idea is to perhaps put it on after the shower and use one towel to remove excess. Do it before bed and with pajamas so it can soak in overnight.
It is great stuff, I have only used Almond/Coconut oil for years and my skin looks great.

February 25, 2013 at 3:04 am
(16) blah blah says:

Using the oil in the shower can generally get the best results, as it locks in the moisture. However, you run into 2 catches. 1) the tub/shower gets oily, which not only makes it a slipping hazard, but over time the excess oil will start to clog the drain. A little drain cleaner can help, but you run the risk of damaging your plumbing system. 2) When you towel off, the oil gets all over the towel. Even using degreasers (dish soap, automotive degreaser, orange oil, etc), I was never able to fully get the oil out of my towels while doing this. So, the oil ended up setting in the dryer, causing staining and a nasty burnt oil stench on the towels. Likewise, the oil would build up over time on the towels, so eventually it was like trying to dry off with a sheet of plastic. If you want to oil up in the shower, I recommend either drying off with paper towels you throw away (which can get expensive, and probably not very environmentally good unless you’re composting them), or plan on buying new towels every month. I’ve tried drying off and then applying oil, and it’s just not the same experience. It’s better than nothing, though. If you have chronic dry skin in the winter, then switch to using hair conditioner as your shampoo and body wash, and oil up after the shower. If you get some dead skin build-up (dandruff or dry skin), then showering with baking soda will help cut it all out. Fill a large plastic glass or cup with 1/4 cup baking soda. Take it into the shower with you. Fill it full under the shower head, mix it with your hand, then pour it over your head and body. It exfoliates as it works, so leave it on for a couple of minutes. Then, rinse off. You might be surprised how much dead skin comes sloughing off your scalp and face. I used to have bad seaborheaic dermatitis (oily dandruff) which even affected my face (cheeks). Once I used baking soda, it cleared it right up.