1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Hairstyles By Age: What Can You Get Away With at 20, 30, 40, 50 & On Up?

By August 24, 2012

Don't believe everything you hear out there. Just because you're 65, you don't have to immediately sign up for a helmet hairstyle. In fact, a younger look and lighter color can take years off your look. Check out at Donna Karan and Demi Moore pictured here. Karan is 63 and Moore is 49 but neither appears her age. In fact, Demi looks decades younger and is sporting a long hairstyle which in the past has been a faux pas on anyone over 35.

Not anymore. These days hair rules are meant to be broken. But there are some considerations to take into mind when choosing a hairstyle at certain ages. If you have a new baby or you're looking for a job, you'll want a style that's easy (for a new mom) or professional (for a new career).

Find out what you can really get away with at age 20, 30, 40 and older.

More:

Image: Donna Karan and Demi Moore by Alberto E. Rodriguez // Getty Images

Comments

September 30, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(1) Mare says:

I am over 60 and blessed with shiny silver, not gray, hair that I am told lights up my face. I found a great stylist who gave me a flattering contemporary haircut. I get compliments on my hair all the time. Got one just yesterday at my dentist’s office. Strangers come up to me regularly to compliment me and I’ve given numerous people the name of my stylist. Some people even think it is colored to be this way but it absolutely isn’t. I’d colored it for years before I let it grow out and I am so glad I did.

October 1, 2009 at 3:52 am
(2) Elton says:

good say Mare !!!

October 1, 2009 at 9:08 pm
(3) Natasha says:

I disagree, you do not have to chop off your hair to have a career in a “man’s world”- I’m an engineer and do just fine with hair past my waist. The key to having success with long hair at any age or career is to keep it always looking polished and neatly styled.

December 3, 2009 at 9:16 pm
(4) Jerris says:

I agree with Natasha you don’t have to be masculine to be powerful. You don’t have to sacrifice your femininity to be successful

August 31, 2011 at 2:56 pm
(5) Bareheadedwoman says:

The soft bob IS THE NEW HELMET cut. Geez. I can get away with anything I durn well please.

Plenty of all gray, or naturally white highlighted, over 50 women out there with bra+ length, “unstyled” hair that is worn down. An older woman with long hair neatly pulled up is always classic–21st century cosmo notwithstanding. (Of course seeing any woman over 25 who isn’t the featured actress or a Mom-getting-makeover, in a magazine, is like hunting snipes.)

The trick is to wear what looks like you, on you, so that you can be you….not to somehow “take off years”. I know so many mature women who had lovely hair, then cut it off into a stylish shoulder length and suddenly, instead of looking like a beautifully matured female, they look like every other 40 something year old woman in town (a fashion capital town I might add). Seriously, it gets hard to tell them apart…all highlighted blonde, all shoulder bob, all classically tailored clothes with current trend accessories…if they where the same color the same day its like they are in second grade and are pretending to be twins.

I am a handsome mid-forties woman and I look it (and it still attracts all sorts of attention). I plan to be a handsome mid-fifties woman, and mid-sixties…and I’ll cut my hair if and when it stops growing. No one ever confuses me with so-n-so over in marketing.

I earned my years, damnit, and I intend to flaunt them–not soften or conceal. One of the benefits of age is gaining the wisdom to know when not to follow the pack and the ability to do so.

August 31, 2011 at 3:04 pm
(6) Bareheadedwoman says:

*wear the same, not where

August 26, 2012 at 10:38 am
(7) poland says:

women in the right looks great

August 31, 2012 at 10:40 am
(8) em says:

just came across this article and these comments. Must say, what ‘bareheadedwoman’ said is great.. enlightening!

November 9, 2012 at 1:53 am