Ponytails with pouf. That's what I think when I see these high ponies on the streets of Manhattan and on the red carpets. The extra volume on top is very trendy right now and adds polish and interest to the boring pony which so many of us are sporting because of the hot summer weather.
See my photo gallery of ponytails for more inspiration: How to Wear a Ponytail.
To get the look yourself, follow these directions:
- Blow-dry hair into whatever style you want: wavy or straight. If you want curl in the ponytail, divide hair and curl with a wide-barreled curling iron or hot rollers.
- Section off the back portion of your hair into a ponytail by starting with the hair from your ears on back.
- Taking the loose hair in the front, divide this into two parts -- a bangs section and a back section.
- Holding the back section straight up, back comb hair by teasing the roots with a wide-toothed comb.
- Set the teased roots with hairspray.
- Undo the ponytail and using your fingers, pull all of your hair back into a high ponytail. The bang section should sweep up and back over the teased section.
- Secure the ponytail with elastic. You can pull out a piece of hair from the bottom and wrap it around the ponytail holder for a more formal look.