1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Recipe: How to Make Your Own Homemade Sugar "Wax"

By February 24, 2012

This week, I've decided to re-run a blog post from 2009 that continues to get comments from people who've tried the homemade sugaring recipe. Here it is:

In this economy, why spend $30 or more on a professional leg wax when you can do it yourself? I have many friends who wax their own legs with store-bought wax kits and I recently discovered a recipe for sugaring on the Double X Website for women.

Editor Hanna Rosin shares the recipe her family used to remove arm hair (they were hairy Sephardic Jews, according to Rosin). While you can buy wax kits in any drugstore, cooking your own sugaring mixture over the stove can save an extra few dollars. Full disclosure: I have not tried this myself because I once bought a sugaring kit and it was the messiest, most annoying self-improvement project I'd ever tried. But if you want to go for it try the recipe in How to Make Your Own Homemade Sugar Wax.

Comments

July 12, 2009 at 11:55 pm
(1) marie jecrois says:

I had to take a moment to write a comment about your “how to make your own homemade wax” post because it was very beneficial and informative.

July 13, 2009 at 12:46 am
(2) Lisa says:

Does this actually work?

July 19, 2009 at 12:20 am
(3) Hania says:

Yes it does, although where i come from we don’t have to use plastic knives or wooden sticks or anything. you can simply use your clean hands ( though you’ll probably need some practice! spread and snatch!) and in case you use your hands, a little bit will go a long way ( because you can reuse it, you can do a whole leg with a piece half the size of your fist).. and also, using honey instead of sugar is better, it’ll leave your skin soft.
Every woman knows this recipe here! it works just as well as wax, more messy but just as efficient.

July 19, 2009 at 11:51 am
(4) beauty says:

Hania,

If you use honey, do you just warm it over the stove with lemon and water? And how long do you heat it?

Just curious how you’d do this with honey.

Thanks!
Julyne

July 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm
(5) Medical Spa Worker says:

Please tell me that you allow the mixture to cool before using. Caramelized sugar is hot!
You could get a serious burn applying it directly to the skin without allowing it to cool.

July 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(6) kk says:

Actually, I just want to say that this is NOT “sugar wax” it’s actually a method called sugaring. Sugar wax is a type of wax used in some waxing salons that actually contains wax, this does not and is a separate process in itself.
It does work however, and is a whole lot easier to remove. Takes some practice.

July 20, 2009 at 11:23 pm
(7) Suzy says:

So if this wax mixture takes practice
do you think if I were to make the wax myself, should I just stick to waxing my legs and not try to wax my eyebrows? They need to be done, desperately. That is why I’m asking about the brows. Onet thing I hate about waxing is the pain is causes, and if you’re not fast enough you’re red and suffering!

July 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(8) beauty says:

Dear MSW: Yes, you should let it cool before using. I added that to the blog, forgot it earlier, thanks for the reminder.

Suzy: I would NOT use this to wax brows if you aren’t a professional. You can your own legs and parts of your bikini line, but leave the brows to the real pros.

–Julyne

July 21, 2009 at 6:23 am
(9) nuzha says:

can we stock n store this wax for future use too?

August 5, 2009 at 12:54 pm
(10) Natasha says:

Hi, thanks for the recipe. How would you go about using honey as a substitue as one blogger suggests?
Also, I have a nasty problem of in-growth all over my legs and thighs, which appears like tiny black spots and looks very ugly. Not only that, hair starts growing just a day after i’ve waxed. Any suggestions to ease this problem? I’m tense as i’ll be getting married soon!

August 6, 2009 at 11:03 am
(11) poepoet says:

yeah, i’ve tried it twice!
for my underarm n my bikini line.
its really really fantastic! my underarms hair are 99% removed. it work best, except for the bikini line. i cant deal with the pain…*^_^*

August 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm
(12) Betty says:

is this safe to use on sensitive skin?

August 17, 2009 at 10:58 am
(13) nics.... says:

thanks for the recipe…. do i need to apply an anti-inflamatory cream or antiseptic after waxing?

August 25, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(14) Bethany says:

This recipe did not work for me. I’ve heard that you should use 3 teaspoons, not tablespoons, of lemon juice. I did this as well and it did not work. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

August 26, 2009 at 4:20 am
(15) okeydoket says:

How much sugar wax does the amount that you have given make??
Does it hurt as much as actual wax?
And does it make your hair thicker or thinner?
Please reply thank you.

August 29, 2009 at 5:40 pm
(16) sherice says:

hey instead of lemon can u use lime?

October 5, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(17) Katie says:

After applying the sugar mixture and the cloth, how long do you have to wait to pull the cloth off?

October 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm
(18) beauty says:

pat it down firmly, then pull! It’s a matter of seconds.

November 18, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(19) Young Love says:

i’m young and trying to impress a boy I desperately like. i feel like I have a mustache. is this safe to use for that? and how long should I wait before taking it off with the cloth?

February 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(20) Kelsey says:

This really works! defiently a keeper :)

March 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm
(21) maira0310 says:

can you use lime instead on lemon juice?? or would that mess up my skin?
plz let me know ASAP!

March 20, 2010 at 11:04 am
(22) beauty says:

I would not use lime. Lemon is used much more in beauty, but I do not know why exactly. Julyne

April 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm
(23) Goldie says:

I’ve made homemade wax before and honestly it doesn’t make a difference if you use lime or lemon juice. It’s the acidity that matters. That being said, I wouldn’t suggest using vinegar or any other such crazy thing (but only because I haven’t used it myself and because I’m sure it would smell awful!). Another tip, I find that you can use the same strip multiple times during the same waxing session. I simply reapply wax on my legs and apply a used strip and pull! And don’t forget that you can apply the other side of the strip too…just in case you’re running low on sheets to cut up!

May 25, 2010 at 3:37 am
(24) confused says:

i just wanted to know if you could reheat it after you’ve already cooked it and its not ready??

May 26, 2010 at 10:53 am
(25) beauty says:

Yes, you can reheat the homemade wax

May 26, 2010 at 10:53 pm
(26) doubt says:

can i use the ready lime you get at stores??

May 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm
(27) me!! says:

do u have to use the lemon?? can you just leave it out???

May 29, 2010 at 10:57 am
(28) Alexis says:

I want to wax my bikini area! Does this work??? And what kind of cloth would I use? Thanks!!!!

June 1, 2010 at 1:40 am
(29) Joliese Tan says:

Waxing is very tuff and i think homemade waxing also take also take time for prep and than to apply… so i think go for saloon is good option….. isn’t it….

June 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm
(30) Best Lip Plumper says:

Hi Julyne,
Thanks for the helpful method of how to make your own homemade wax, i have tried so many of those hair dissolving creams but they seem to cause a rash of red bumps, im not sure why it is although i do have fair sensitive skin maybe this is the cause. I’m defiantly going to try your remedy, it is much appreciated.

July 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm
(31) Lindy says:

I made this is it didn’t work it turned out black and it made my house fill with smoke dont try it

July 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(32) waxbitch says:

@Lindy, you OBVIOUSLY left it to burn!! maybe your low heat isn’t so low, or maybe you didn’t even put it at low heat!! well, the idea is for the mixture to CARAMELIZE which means to brown slightly…too dark and it won’t work!

July 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(33) anonymous says:

I tried this at home, and it is by far the WORST method of trying to remove hair. After creating the wax I let it cool but it still was too hot when I applied it to my skin. I then let it cool for a bit more time, and then it was too hard. The total time to do this took me about 2 hours, with then end result having ingrown hairs about two weeks later.

July 28, 2010 at 6:47 pm
(34) Julie Longton says:

Me and my friend tried this and it burnt. It left my whole apartment smokey. Why do you think this happened?

August 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(35) zoey says:

This stuff works pretty well. The only drawback is you can’t put it on immediately because it’s too hot, so you have to wait for it to cool, but then you have to wax really fast because otherwise it will cool off and harden and not be wax-like anymore. The waxing itself goes great, it’s just trying to get it done without it burning yourself/hardening that’s tricky.

September 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm
(36) laura says:

This did not work at ALL for me. I tried it 3 times and spent a day trying to do it. I cooled it off, I warmed it up, nothing. It didn’t stick at ALL. It was like water.

September 29, 2010 at 5:19 pm
(37) tricia says:

I made a very small batch the first time to see if this stuff would work and it worked great. there were a bit of hairs left over but a little tweezing fixed that. but that even happens with the pros. I am making another batch right now but I went a step farther this time and added a little food coloring to make it purple. Just a drop of blue and a drop of red after the sugar caramelized. I am waiting for it to cool right now. and, for the people it didnt work on for hari removal, It is a great exfoliate for the face. Just keep it away from your eyes and use a warm wet cloth to rub it in and wash it off.

November 12, 2010 at 6:02 pm
(38) Nicole says:

IS this extremely painful!?!?!?

November 24, 2010 at 8:43 am
(39) bob says:

is it safe for pubes?

December 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm
(40) lisa says:

Is this recipe safe for the crotch area? I wanted to know because my friend Anna is afriad to go out and have people wax her crotch.

December 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(41) beauty says:

yes, but keep in mind it is not easy to do the bikini area by yourself. I’ve tried. Not easy.

December 21, 2010 at 12:29 am
(42) SalonReceptionist says:

If you’re finding the wax hardens before you’ve completed your waxing, you can try placing your container of wax in boiling water. Simply pour some boiling water from a kettle into a larger container like tuperware or a caserole dish. Submerge your wax (still in it’s own seperate container) into the water about half way, so no boiling water spills in over the edge. That way your wax will be gently heated as you go. (You may want to allow the boiling water to cool slightly so that the wax isn’t too hot to apply to sensitive skin!) Hope this helps!

January 5, 2011 at 2:00 am
(43) Wax Macgyver says:

This is a great tip. I felt like Macgyver mustering this up with with common household items … had to squeeze the lemons and use sugar cubes.

Oh, my mixture caramelized in about 15 minutes probably because of the surface area of my pan (heat was very low). But, I knew it was ready by the smell.

January 13, 2011 at 8:10 am
(44) Sharon says:

Some of you ladies are so ignorant. It actually make me sick. 

January 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm
(45) L0ver says:

totally awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee
weeeee

January 24, 2011 at 5:47 am
(46) fuzzy says:

i love this wax its the best and its best to use ur hands (clean hands) to pull off the wax. and saves u time and money than going to a salon

January 31, 2011 at 1:05 am
(47) Selma says:

Can I do this after a shower?? Or is it better to do it before?

January 31, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(48) beauty says:

yes, you can do it after a shower

February 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(49) fatima says:

wowwww i knew dis recipe since when i was 7years old and now 16 wowwwww

March 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm
(50) help me says:

can you just use plain honey and nothing else to wax ur legs??

May 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(51) anon says:

Is it possible to microwave the mixture and stir every so often?; stove broken :(

May 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm
(52) beauty says:

May 31, 2011 at 1:18 am
(53) c-money says:

I find that once you get the mixture to an ideal waxing temperature, put the jar in a bowl of hot water to keep at that temperature, you can then use the bowl of hot water to put the used strips in as it will dissolve the sugar mixture easier. I have also used a space heater on low in front of the jar to keep it warm.

July 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(54) Anonymous says:

I tried this because waxing gets to expensive these days and I put it on the stove for 10 minutes on low and it already burned BLACK this stuff does not work DO NOT TRY IT it makes ur room full of smoke 

July 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm
(55) Heather says:

How brown should it look? Also how thick should it look? I’m stirring it with a popsicle stick and it’s getting thicker, but how do I know when it’s done? Could you post a picture of a completed batch? Like the color and consistency? Thanks! =)

July 24, 2011 at 4:42 am
(56) Miranda says:

Wen duz it start turning into thick wax? After it cools off? Is it ok to use the lemon juice in the squeeze bottles?

July 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(57) Lovee says:

lol i tried this but it got 2 messy <:b

July 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(58) blazek says:

this is a cool idea way better that buying expensive things :)

p.s your a geniouse!

August 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(59) Lady says:

Didn’t work for me. The ”wax” became a hard mass. I tried to warm it up with water and it still didn’t work. I guess I’ll just have to eat it.

August 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(60) Maria says:

does this really work? I’m going to try tomorrow if it works I’m going to keep making it …the salon is getting too expensive!!!

September 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm
(61) anna says:

can you substitute lemon or leave it out?

September 11, 2011 at 12:31 am
(62) Melanie says:

Hey so i’m pretty sure that you can’t leave out the lemon.. but you could substitute it for lime, or probably use concentrate.

September 15, 2011 at 9:06 am
(63) legna says:

i tried it and it almost burned me..
i cant use it if it is cool enough because it will dry and not worked..
how can i used it without drying and it is cool enough that it wouldn’t burn me..?????
pls answer this. :(

October 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(64) Anonymous says:

Hi! I know it’s been a long time since you posted this, but I have a question! What if you don’t want to rip your cotton sheets or something? Can you buy the wax strips thing that they sell at places (its the paper that they use to rip your skin off!) and use those? Thank you!

October 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm
(65) beauty says:

Yes, you may buy the strips at the store that are sold for waxing kits.

October 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm
(66) A. says:

for the girls that tried and it didn’t work, please stop telling others not to use it just because it didn’t work for you. it is obviously that something went wrong or you do not have enough experience to do it properly. it took me some time to deal with it, i thought it was sticky and messy, not to talk about burning it and burning myself, but now that i learned to work with it it does wonders. it is better than anything i’ve tried so far. so girls keep trying and you will get used to it.

October 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm
(67) beauty says:

Thanks A,

I figure if these women and their family members have been using this recipe for generations, it must work.

Sorry it took so much practice and is a hassle, but I’m glad it worked out for you. Personally, I’m way to lazy to do this on myself. I’d rather pay the Polish woman down the street to make me hairless in under 15 minutes!

Cheers,
Julyne

October 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(68) Maire says:

Hey, I know this was asked before and never answered. Is it safe to use on your upper lip?
Thanks a bunch :)

October 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm
(69) beauty says:

honestly, I wouldn’t try this on the upper lip unless you’ve mastered it elsewhere. I think the chances of burning yourself are greater if you’re a novice and that is a very sensitive area — also a visible one!

November 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(70) Lol says:

What if it hardens?

December 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm
(71) renben says:

the author is obviously an idiot…45 mins?? Really?..more like 4 TO 5 mins..it works, you just have to time it correctly, but it’s frustrating because you never really know when is a good time to turn it off. If you don’t have the patience, then just buy regular wax cause this can end up being a task, if you don’t have one of those candy thermometer things

December 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(72) Kayla says:

Does it burn alot?

December 28, 2011 at 12:41 am
(73) Bg says:

I have never tried this and i just want to know if it really works because I have no idea who I should belive if it works or not. Please tell me thanks! :)

January 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(74) AEB says:

I’ve read every single comment and must say that the comments about takes practice IS SOO TRUE! I haven’t tried this yet (but will), but I know for a fact waxing is not easy. As far as the burning yourself, you do have to let is cool (duh). You can tell when it’s ready by sticking the wooden stick in and stirring it. It should not be runny but more like a syrup consistancy. And also blowing on the applicator before smearing it it on the skin helps. Good luck ladies!!

January 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(75) laura says:

have never attempted this before, but i must say it worked perfectly!! for those of you that say it burns while you’re cooking it, try a lower heat and keeping a close eye on it lol… it’s no different than actual cooking…if you don’t watch the stuff of course it’s going to burn, but if you stand there and stir it, it’s a pretty good bet that you’ll notice if it’s getting TOO brown, right?

March 1, 2012 at 8:56 am
(76) Rebecca says:

Your actually not supposed to pull against the hair with sugaring. It’s the exact OPPOSITE of wax. You apply against the hair and pull with, instead of applying with and pulling against like you do with wax.

March 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm
(77) beauty says:

oh, good tip. Thanks Rebecca! Maybe I’ll edit this to include that info.

March 9, 2012 at 9:37 am
(78) Yahoo says:

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to
mention that I have truly loved surfing around your weblog posts.

In any case I will be subscribing in your rss feed and I’m hoping you write once more soon!

March 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm
(79) Kaya says:

i use it all the time..i use 2 cups of white sugar, 1/4 cup of white vinegar or lemon juice and 1/4 cup of water, cook it until golden but not burned..6/8 minutes. then i let it cool and harden a bit until it reaches the right consistency. the next step is to spread it on your hairy parts AGAINST the hair and pull TOWARDS the direction of hair growth (unlike waxing). to do the pulling one can use the normal muslin cloths used in waxing. very good results and far less painful. i use it everywhere, legs, face, underarms, arms and also do my own bikini area (Brazilian). its wonderful :)

March 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(80) rian says:

One thing that helps me when I make it is to use and instant thermometer, the sugar is about ready around 250 to 275. My stove is old so if I set my timer for 8 minutes and cook at medium around the time my timer goes off it is golden brown. I cut up a cotton t-shirt when I first tried it but they roll up when you wash them so it was a pain, I actually found it you can get it to the right consistancy it is easier and faster to do it without the cloths, it has to be able to ball up then you just rub it on your legs and then pull up. Last time I made it this didn’t work, but the first time I did it worked like a charm. Practice makes perfect. And it is a lot less painful then salon waxing, though I’m not brave enough to do it on my bikini area on my own.

May 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(81) marianna says:

Can you use maple syrup instead of honey

May 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(82) beauty says:

I’m not sure. You can try it and let us know!
Julyne

May 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm
(83) Alexis says:

can you use this to get rid of facial hair

May 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm
(84) chinny says:

Can i use soap to bath after the use of lime n tomatoes. .2ndly can i apply body cream after washing off the lime n tomatoes ……3rdly After i use lime n tomatoes can i still use Honey n lemon 2 achieve a body Glow?

June 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(85) Cowgirl says:

The sugaring is easy. “You tube” has a lot of videos about making it. I remember reading that some batches just do not work. Don’t give up. Throw it out and try another batch. Its certainly cheap enough. Use a candy thermometer. I stored mine in glass bowls with lids in the closet and then later used a coffee cup warmer to reheat and to keep it warm while I was applying it. I watched my professional and she spread the sugar on in the direction the hair grows, presses the cloth on and then quickly pulls the cloth off in the opposite direction. She also once told me NEVER to tweeze the hair especially in the more delicate areas. She was right. A different “pro” did and I had to battle a couple of ingrown hairs for a while. Why tweezing doesn’t work??? I don’t know but I am not trying that again. I use larger pieces of cloth, toss them in the wash and reuse next time. Wax is a mess but sugar cleans up so easily and it has to be better for your skin that that hard wax. Good luck.

July 3, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(86) Cupcake says:

Mine I think I cooked too long. Its at a soft crack stage instead of a hard ball, will that affect it once it’s cooled?

August 12, 2012 at 6:45 am
(87) seks kamerki says:

beauty.about.com rules all the time!!

September 9, 2012 at 12:27 am
(88) Jes says:

I am excited to try this recipe! I have been getting professionally waxed or sugaring for years and the cost can definitely add up! If you have not been professionally sugared before I would recommend to go a few times first before trying it yourself. Pay attention and pick up their methods. I have waxed myself and have learned to place the wax in a crock pot (observed this in a salon) when placed on a low or warm temp it keeps the wax at a consistent perfect temp. I recommend using as a previous comment suggested no cloth, just a glob of wax and your clean hands. Lastly, I want to mention though I think sugaring can be a bit more painful than wax, it is so much better. I have always had an issue with ingrown hairs and sugaring COMPLETELY cured me of this. If possible, a cocktail takes away some of the sting for me!! ;) Good luck ladies!

September 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm
(89) LolaV says:

Ive been trying for an eternity to make this, but it cant seem to come out right. Ill let it cool down a bit so it doesnt burn me, while still leaving it mostly warm However, when i try to use it, it doesnt work. it LOOKS like wax, but it isnt WORKING like wax. aNY SUGGESTIONS?

February 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm
(90) Lauren Ashley says:

for everyone that’s having troubles with this, the reason your wax isn’t turning out well is because you’re doing it wrong. :)

first of all, you are not supposed to try to do it quick. you HAVE to do it slow. you mix your ingredients, put it in a thick pan (preferably stainless steel – if you use a thinner pain you absolutely HAVE to keep the heat low) and heat it SLOWLY.

you stir it together, turn it on to low-medium heat, and let it heat up to a light boil. then you turn it alllll the way back down to low, and let it simmer for 25 minutes. this isn’t a speed race. your goal is to get a rich reddish amber color, or get it to 250 – 265 degrees. preferably both.

you are NOT trying to have tons of bubbling while you’re simmering. it’s gotta be SLOW AND GENTLE.

once you’re done, you need to take it off the heat, let it cool slowly for about 10 minutes, and then pour it into an airtight container. you can use plastic or glass. if you’re using glass, let the glass run under HOT WATER while the wax is cooling so that you don’t pour it in and have the glass crack.

then you let the entire thing cool completely. you SHOULD end up with a thick, pasty consistency.

if you want to use strips to rip the hair off, heat a small bit in the microwave until it has a honey-like consistency, but make sure it’s not too hot – test it on your wrist.

the way i prefer, which i think is much easier, is to just pull out a golfball-size amount with your fingers, roll it into a ball, and then spread it AGAINST the skin growth (so if you’re doing your calves, you’d spreaad it UPWARD) and then you grab the end and rip it downward FAST. everyone has a big fit saying you’re supposed to do the opposite, but with sugar wax this is not true. you have to spread it downward and then rip upward with COMMERCIAL WAX, but with sugar wax it’s upward, then downward. i promise, i’ve been doing this for years.

February 16, 2013 at 10:14 pm
(91) Lauren Ashley says:

(continued)

if you want to substitue the lemon juice, you can use lime juice, orange juice, or as others have suggested, white vinegar. SOME people (myself included) get red bumps that are similar to razor bumps if they use lemon or lime juice. if you are sensitive to those acidic fruits, use orange juice.

you cannot go without some sort of acid, as it preserves the wax and keeps it supple.

if your wax turned out hard like candy, you cooked it too fast at too high of a heat.

when you cool your wax, it WILL harden. if it’s too hard for you, try to add a little water a teaspoon at a time and microwave for 15 seconds at a time until it’s soft again.

this is a tricky technique and a tricky recipe. you absolutely have to get the feel of it. it’s not easy, and you’re probably not going to get amazing results on the first try. you probably ARE going to end up wasting sugar. that’s just how it is with this recipe. if you’re getting smoke and burning, YOU messed it up, it’s not the recipe or the technique that’s wrong. but if you keep trying it, you’re going to get better at it, and you’re eventually going to turn out with a safe and cheap alternative to commercial waxing or shaving.

arabic people and egyptian people have been using this technique for thousands of years. keep that in mind when you see them having no problems with it, and you mess it up on the FIRST TRY.

February 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(92) Merry M says:

I get some epic irritation from shaving, which is why I first started doing this. One thing that I have found to be a problem is that when I wait until it is at the “hard ball” temp, it’s already too hard. I get it to the soft/firm ball stage and take it off the heat. It is much easier to work with, as all of mine have turned to rocks waiting to “hard ball” stage.

The advantage to this is that it actually works best COLD, and I can work with it right out of the refrigerator. It feels a lot nicer when using it, because it has a slight numbing effect from the cold sugar. I usually set the non-used portion on an icepack while I’m working with it so it doesn’t get warm and stop working (or stick it in the freezer…)

And if you overcooked it and it turned to a rock, add some water to a pan with it and heat it up again. But I would only do this if you are a bit experienced and can tell by the consistency (or do the old-fashioned sugar temp measuring method and drop it into some cold water to test).

March 6, 2013 at 9:32 pm
(93) best classic rock bands says:

I want to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I definitely loved
every little bit of it. I’ve got you book marked to check out new stuff you post_

March 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm
(94) Not-so-hairy-now says:

My good friend from Lebanon made something very similar with sugar water and lemon juice. We cooked it on a LOW heat and stirred CONTINUALLY. Cook until the sugar becomes caramelized to the point where you drop it in a glass of water and it is between a softball stage and a hardball stage (just like making lollipops.) Once it’s easily forms a ball in cold water you are done cooking it. Let it cool and when it is cool enough to handle, you begin to pull it like taffy. Continue to pull and pull and pull until it becomes a color of the light caramel, and then it is ready to use.

No cloth is needed to take the hair off. You simply apply the “wax” in the direction that the hair grows and rip backward. You work quickly because your body heat can cause the mixture to become sticky after a while. The women in Lebanon start with the most clean areas like their face and then their arms and legs and then to the areas that are less clean, under your armpits and the bikini area. Note it is easier if someone helps you in the bikini area. Now that is a true friend!!!

May 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(95) Leh says:

Well.. for people who are afraid of burning it, try heating in a double boil… And do not use those lemon/lime concentrate.. I tried doing with one but the concentrate has ingredients that didn’t help the wax.. and I just look it after putting in the mixture.. it had lime oil and made my mixture not sticky… :(

May 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm
(96) Maria says:

I tried the “sugar wax” for my pubic hair. First off I’m not saying the wax does not work, lets get that clear. The wax however, for me did not work, maybe I did not follow the instructions carefully enough or maybe I was not pulling hard enough. I’m not sure.. the process of making the wax however was very easy and it did come out like regular wax at the salon. I let it sort of boil for about 30 seconds and I let it cool in my freezer until I could stick my finger in it without wincing. The wax was very messy and sticky, but for whatever reason nothing was coming off! I pulled harder and harder until my eyes watered…still nothing. That’s when I stopped. I went and took a shower and shaved like I usually do

May 25, 2013 at 1:48 am
(97) Paz says:

Reading some of these comments is certainly inspiring! Others are a little depressing, though…

Look, this is essentially a recipe for making candy. Cooking dinner is easy, baking is harder because it’s more precise, and candy making is even harder than baking – because IT REQUIRES EVEN MORE PRECISION.

When cooking anything – ESPECIALLY SUGAR – adding more heat does not equal less time! You want the mixture to bubble a little, but if you’re new to the process try to keep it bubbling as slowly as possible – which means keeping the heat as low as possible!

Basically, any sugar & water mixture that is above 212 is a CANDY, because water boils at 212 – unless there’s sugar in it. The faster it boils, the less control you’ll have over the temperature, and the more likely you are to burn it.

Here’s a pro tip from someone who’s made a lot of candy – add about 1/2 tablespoon of corn syrup, honey, or golden syrup/light treacle. Any of those will do, it just depends on where you live and what’s available – any invert sugar syrup will help the citric acid prevent crystallization (if you can parse that.)

The purpose of the citrus juice is to prevent crystallization and keep the mixture smooth and syrupy, and the addition of corn syrup (or similar) adds another layer of prevention, helping you If you go a bit above the target temperature range of 255 – 260 or want to let it cool and reheat it for later use.

Also, as other commenters have mentioned – use a candy thermometer. You can get one for about $10 (how much are you saving from not paying someone to wax you again?)

Take the mixture off the heat at around 250 – 255. It will continue to rise for about 5 after taking it off the heat, and you don’t want to go past 265!

May 25, 2013 at 1:48 am
(98) Paz says:

PS: I’ve done this process myself, and it is excellent! I hate being waxed by other people. Well, strangers, at least. I have introduced a couple friends to this process and shown them how to do it, and it’s even easier with an extra pair of hands or two (and sometimes a lot more fun ;)

PPS: Don’t tell other people not to try something complex because you tried it once and failed.

Some things require practice.

Why else would you pay other people to do something if you could do it just as easily in the same amount of time?

(When some people try something and fail, they then try to figure out why they failed, or at least try again and see if they get it right the next time. This is a process called LEARNING. Try it, it’s fun!)

June 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(99) jessica:) says:

How can you make this spread easy. i can use it for one wax of one spot and the rest hardens fast. is there anything to do to make.it not harden so fast?

June 29, 2013 at 12:25 pm
(100) fragrance oil for soap making says:

Hello there! This post could not be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this.
I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he
will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

July 2, 2013 at 1:10 pm
(101) Buy glass pipe says:

Your means of explaining all in this paragraph is truly nice, every one can simply understand it, Thanks
a lot.

July 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(102) kab247580 says:

Can I leave it in room temp then use it so it won’t be so hot

July 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm
(103) Z says:

No one’s commented on this in years but I’m sure others find it via a google search like I do, so here’s my experience.
What I ended up mixing was 1 cup sugar, 3tsp white vinegar (didn’t have any citrus), and about 1tbsp water. My stove heats very quickly so it only took 3-4 minutes to caramelize the sugar. In fact it was slightly over cooked.
I put it in a small pyrex bowl, then put that inside another bowl of hot water to keep it warm. This worked, kept it at a workable temperature for about 45 minutes.
I started out using an area of my leg to test it out. I read in one article that putting corn starch or baby powder on the skin will make sure it only sticks to the hair, not the skin. I tried the corn starch but found it reduced the number of hairs removed in each pull so I ditched that idea.
At first about 50% of the hairs were removed. I kept experimenting with small patches, varying the thickness of the wax, direction I applied it, how long I left it on etc, until I was able to remove pretty much all the hair.
Letting it sit until the wax completely cooled seemed to work the best.
Once I had my technique down, I used it on my eyebrows. Great results! I’ve been plucking my crazy, bushy eyebrows for 12 years. With the sugar wax it was super quick, with less pain, less redness and less swelling than plucking (still some, as my skin is extremely sensitive, but this was much more pleasant).
If you’re sloppy or pull at too sharp an angle it will hurt more. The very first patch I tried stung & itched afterward, the parts I did after with more precision had no lasting discomfort.
Using it on just a small area of my leg and both my eyebrows (plus the unibrow, lol), I barely used any of the wax. So I put it in the fridge to reheat next time I need to tame some hair.
Happy I tried this as I will be using this method for my eyebrows from now on.

July 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm
(104) Ashley says:

Can I use granulated sugar?

August 7, 2013 at 4:54 am
(105) saiqa says:

can i use vinegar instead of lemon juice for making homemade wax

January 5, 2014 at 1:34 am
(106) Lexi says:

What can you use instead of honey or lemon juice??

March 3, 2014 at 1:19 am
(107) Saipanese_gurl says:

I used this suggestion and I loved it! Thanks.