1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Makeup Tips for Older Women

By February 21, 2010

Every time I put something on here for older women, my readers go crazy with love for me. So here's a few more tips I've picked up and want to share for women over 60:

• Less is more. The older you get, the less makeup you want to wear. Foundation and heavy powders tend to settle into lines and wrinkles and they sit on top of facial hair, making that baby hair on your cheeks stand out.
  • Don't shave or tweeze that chin. As you age, you tend to grow chin hairs. Most women I know have a few, but I know women with mini beards at 40. I tweezed mine for years until I read that they grow back heavier (!). I can't vouch if this is true, but the real way to get rid of chin hair is electrolysis. You have to go a bejillion times, but it does get rid of them.
  • Stay away from shimmer. Shimmer makeup on the eyes is like a beacon on a wrinkled lid (hey, my lids are wrinkled and I'm not even 40!). Shimmer lipstick only shows off a wrinkled lip (I have wrinkly lips too! But I like my lips). And shimmery nail polish brings attention to hands and age spots. Stick with a matte polish.
  • Think dewy, think moist. The older your skin gets, the drier it tends to be. Many older women with dry skin make the mistake of buying powdered blush and foundation. Instead, stick with blush in liquid form and use foundation sparingly, covering up only the spots that need to be covered, usually along the nose, under the eyes and on cheeks.

The most important beauty lesson of all for older women is to think young. I know women who are 30 who seem like 60 and I know 70-year-olds with the spark of a 25-year-old. Embrace life and forget about age and you'll find others will be blown away if they find out how old you really are.

Get many more tips in my popular article, Makeup Tips for Older Women.

Comments

February 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm
(1) Pam Munro says:

I agree about plucking chin hair – If you keep on doing it, the root will die and voila! no more hair coming back (that’s why overplucking your eyebrows can cause problems – it won’t grow back. Not the same for shaving!) The problem is checking for these “new” old hairs, as they can surprise you – mine do, especially since they are blonde & hard to see. And a good pair of tweezers is certainly the bargain basement option!

February 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(2) mick says:

If Jul is wrong, someone forgot to tell the whispies on my chin. Either that or they are indulging in a population explosion before the die-off.

February 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm
(3) diane smith says:

What about waxing? I go once a month, over time the hair doesn’t grow back as quickly. I love this time at a salon. I have a wonderful herbal facial, with a special treatment for my eyes. She waxes my eyebrows too. Ummm….

February 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm
(4) Mrs. Campbell says:

As I got older, I could no longer see well enough to apply my eyeliner. My answer: I had my eyeliner tatooed on. I am now 62 and so happy I did this 10 years ago. I would have been a coward now and not be able to enjoy my perfectly done eyes every day!

April 23, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(5) Darlene says:

Thank you, I am 64 and I love it. I’ve just started doing belly dancing. Love your age love who you are. I don’t shave wax or pluck anything, my legs are clear of hair. looking back into the mirror, if I have chin hair I can’t see it. Yougive great tips and thank you.
Darlene

July 21, 2010 at 4:39 am
(6) Rachel says:

Yes looking & feeling young really helps you look younger. Joy attracts people to you no matter what your age.

November 7, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(7) Pamela says:

I totally agree that plucking chin hairs works. I always have a couple that crop up, but eventually go away after I attack them a few times. Sadly, they do show up again somewhere else, but I never have more than a few on the go at once, just not enough to spend the $$$ on that electrolysis or laser treatment costs. The things they don’t tell you about menopause..

But I can pass on one tip that works well with these damn things –namely, look for them in natural daylight where they tend to be much more obvious. I throw my tweezers in my purse on the weekend and when I am out in my car somewhere and no one is around I kill them.

Happy plucking!

January 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm
(8) Annie says:

I’d like to share another great website for classic beauties:

http://boydsnyc.com Manhattan’s best kept secret.

September 18, 2013 at 2:52 am
(9) MARY says:

THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEAS…I AM 66 …LIKE TO DYE MY HAIR BLACK…MY HAIR IS BELOW THE SHOULDERS…BY I LIKE TO WEAR IT UP …NOT HANGING DOWN…WEAR BOWS FOR MY AGE…AND I HAD IT ONE LENGHT BUT I CUT SOME BANGS…DID NOT LIKE THEM…NOW I WEAR IT TO THE SIDE OR BACK…BUT I DO LIKE TO COVER MY EYEBROWS…WITH SOME JUST A FEW SLIGHT BANGS…HAVE ANY IDEAS…HOW TO HAVE THEM CUT…MY BANGS…THANKS…MG