Happy New Year! In honor of the very good year ahead, I've compiled 10 beauty resolutions for us. I plan to follow them and I hope you consider adopting some or including yours in the comments section below:
- No more studying my face for wrinkles. After all, none of us are ever going to be younger than we are right now at this very moment. So much of beauty comes from within. I'm going to try to remember this.
- Enjoy the moment. A wise man once told me misery comes from obsessing on the past and fearing the future. True happiness happens in the moment. I'm going to stop myself when I'm freaking out and I'm going to savor the beautiful moments more (like my best friend sitting next to me on the couch right now after a long holiday weekend of memorable moments).
- More massages. Every time I get one, I vow to get another. Massages, I believe, feed the soul.
- Less sugar. Studies show sugar can cause premature aging. And even though I'm not going to obsess about aging, I am going to be more careful with the amounts of sugar I put into my body.
- More yoga. At the end of a vigorous yoga session I feel like all is right in the world. It's like being given a Zen injection or something.
- Post-shower moisturizer. Because I suffer from major winter itch, I am going to try to remember to slather myself with organic extra virgen coconut oil after every shower.
- Experiment with makeup. This last year I got out of my beauty rut (I wore the same eye makeup for 4 years) and tried a new eyeshadow palette which was such a hit, even random male coworkers noticed it and complimented it. This year, maybe I'll try a new red lipstick!
- Teeth whitening. Need I say more?
- No more boring polish colors. During my New Year's Eve manicure this year I went on a whim and got a deep, rich gray nail polish color (OPI's "You Don't Know Jacques") instead of no polish on my fingers and pearl polish on my toes and I can't stop staring at my hands. A salesgirl at a boutique asked me later the name of my polish so she could try it herself.
- Compliment people on their best features/lipstick/nail color. I find when I tell someone they have the most amazing eye color or the perfect shade of red lipstick, they brighten. So I'm going to do this and I'm going to make an extra effort to compliment teenage girls I know because they of all people struggle with body issues and need to be reminded what about them makes them extra special.
Bonus Resolution: Take more risks. This has nothing to do with beauty but today my girlfriends and I met up in Coney Island with 1000 other people and jumped into the frigid water as part of the annual polar bear swim. It was a baptism of sorts, a way to start the year anew. Never had I thought I would be the sort of person to jump into ice cold water in the middle of winter in New York City, but I did it and I had so. Much. Fun. There will more of this in 2010.