1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Makeup Tips for Older Women

By September 5, 2009

Awhile ago I wrote a blog post about beauty tips for older women and the comments board went crazy. Women wanted more, more, more. They wrote that they felt their special needs had gone largely ignored in magazines. They wanted to know how to deal with wrinkles, how to apply makeup and how to hide flaws. Well, here you go, ladies. I have created an entire article of my favorite beauty tips for older women.

Learn how to mask a crepe-y neck, how to divert attention away from sagging jowls and crow's feet. Feel free to add your own suggestions below.

Comments

September 7, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(1) Sandra Davis says:

I am now 66 years old. I have no wrinkles in my face. By heridity I have bags under my eyes. I use a good eye cream, and it helps keep these to a minimum. I use Clinique skin cream all the time. I use two of the creams in the am and two of them in the pm. I also use the eye creams. For my lips, I use Carmex lip balm all the time, day and night. I have no winkles above my lips or below. My skin is very fair with parchment-like top layer. I never let my skin get dry.

I don’t wear powder, but often use a little foundation compact. I use blush only from the height of my cheeks to my hairline, fading it out. I also use a little blush at my temples and on the bottom of my chin. I don’t know why I have such good skin at this age, but people always tell me I don’t look my age.

When I started using makeup as a teen, my mom started me with Helena Rubenstein. She said if I was going to use makeup, I should always use the best. I guess that worked.

September 7, 2009 at 1:14 pm
(2) Sandra Davis says:

I am now 66 years old and have no wrinkles in my face or neck. I use Clinique face creams. I never let me skin get dry. I use Carmax lip ointment on my lips and around them all the time. People say I don’t look my age.

September 7, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(3) pamela munro says:

More tips: I put petroleum jelly on my upper eyelids day & night to protect them &it gives then sheen) – When you wash your face, keep it damp & then apply moisturizer to seal moisture in. – Always wear sunscreen (& on hands & decolletage, too) w/moisturizer & bring along sample packets to reappy during the day – I like the waxy eyebrow pencils, goes on well & STAYS – Wear sunglasses to reduce squinting wrinkles & remember they cover them, too – I put a dab of witch hazel beneath my eye cream to deal with baggy eyes – handle the eye area GENTLY, just pat – Apparently you can even out fatty deposits by pressing on the eyesocket gently – Drink A LOT of water to stay hydrated – Take your vitamins & supplements. The healthier you are, the healthier you skin will be from the inside out. – Try the new exfoliating lip products to take care of peeling there – The hydroxy products for the skin WORK, so do take advantage of them! – Learn gentle facial massage to even out wrinkles on brow caused simply by tension – Use frownies to paste on your brow wrinkles for a non-surgical fix – NOTE: Would anyone PAY anyone else to tweeze their CHIN? How very silly it seems to me – I have better things to spend $ on – like scarves!

September 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(4) Annie says:

Besides all of the wonderful suggestions so far, I urge you to do the same treatments to your neck and HANDS that you do to your face.

I’ll be 60 in November and have always treated my hands with the same creams and serums that I put on my face and neck. They give you away if you don’t!

September 8, 2009 at 12:41 am
(5) Kathleen Matthews says:

I always use moisturisers and never use foundations or eye shadow,some mascara and lipstick and a creme blusher is all that is required for the older face. You learn by looking in the mirror what works. Less is much nicer on an older face.

September 8, 2009 at 4:21 am
(6) marl says:

Good going and please keep these coming. We are a unique gen of women who want to look our best.

BTW, please ask your collegial columnists who are writing about fashion to give us some help on this front.

I can’t wear dresses that have short sleeves, I can’t wear dresses that come above my knees, but there is no reason I have to look like a matron.

Can we please have some creativity for the fashion conscious older woman who is still out there trying to look gorgeous and sometimes succeeding, with very little help from the fashion industry.

If you want incentive there is a huge baby boom gen coming into their 60s who have buying power and will use it when they find what they like.

October 1, 2009 at 3:09 am
(7) Kell says:

I have wrinkles and age spots and I just don’t care. I’d much rather go out hiking and painting and exploring, and smiling, and frowning, and be more concerned with living my life than with trying to look “younger”. Makeup for fun and sunblock for health, yes, but not for trying to live up to superficial “age” levels. If “beauty” doesn’t include wrinkles, than it’s not really beauty at all!

December 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm
(8) paula rickersey says:

You dont have to be vain to want to look good and feel good, I’m at the age now where I struggle to find the right foundation for my skin, it either looks greasy or it looks like it’s been put on by a trowel. I would love to wear eye shadow but dont know what colour suits. I just want to feel nice and confident.