1. Style
Julyne Derrick

An 80-Year-Old's Secret to Youthful Skin

By June 21, 2009

An acquaintance told me she met an elderly woman in NYC who looked much, much younger than her 80 years. My friend was enthralled by her and wanted to know the secret to looking so fabulous. In the course of conversation, the woman (named Ruth) told my friend she'd moved from Europe in the 30s to escape the Nazis and ended up in Manhattan where she became a writer. Her expertise? How to look young naturally. In fact, she claimed to have written the first book on natural beauty which was a success in the 70s.

So what was the secret to Ruth's youthful looks? The secret, according to Ruth, was that after she made all the money on the first book, she spent some of the proceeds on an eyelift.

Comments

June 21, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(1) ki says:

Haha! That’s pretty hilarious.

June 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(2) le says:

Yer Yer. Oh well it made me read it anyway.Not much hope for the rest of us then is there.

June 22, 2009 at 2:07 pm
(3) Lynithia says:

I at one time, worked in a nursing home for the elderly. While there I took care of a woman who was 104. She had baby fresh skin! It was unbelievable! Her secret? She basically rubbed Vasaline all over her body all the time. I swear she could have slid right out of bed she used so much. But it was remakable how youthful her skin was. Since then I swear by it! :)

June 22, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(4) Cathy says:

There was an elderly woman in Alexandria, KY who also swore by Vaseline. Her skin was radiant! Who knew? I guess she did huh? Great tip!

June 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm
(5) marilyn t. says:

yeah that Vaseline comment was a very true one lm 62 and my mother and her mother and her mother always used shortening or Vaseline to coat your body. l even had excema on my under arm and coated my arm with vaseline and it isn’t there any more. it works well

June 22, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(6) Joan says:

My mother is 93 and looks amazing with beautiful skin. She has never stuck by any one product, would have bought the cheapest on the market. My theory is good genes and great bones! I found the story a great relief.

June 22, 2009 at 8:42 pm
(7) L says:

That’s it!??? An eye lift! Oh, please.

Eh, gads, what a disappointment Julyne that you and the media continue to propogate youth and the narcissism about age when there are so many benefits to experience and maturity! Come on now, get a backbone and stand up and simply change the focus to what really matters!

June 22, 2009 at 8:48 pm
(8) laura says:

that’s just like in Legally Blonde…the fitness guru who was secretly getting liposuction…sigh

June 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm
(9) ♥Mrs. Mama♥ says:

Vaseline! Wow! I think I’ll try that tip before I get a eye lift! Thanks for the advice ya’ll
☺☺☺☺

June 23, 2009 at 12:28 am
(10) Zoe says:

I asked my Grandma (when she was in her 80′s) how she kept her face so white a flawless. She said she never let the sun touch her face (and she lived her whole life in Ft. Worth, TX). Nothing else. I do remember my gran always with a hat and scarf when she was outdoors. O so wish I had not baked in the sun while slathered with baby oil.

June 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(11) sarah says:

hahaha she’s a smart old lady. im definitely buying some vaseline:)

June 29, 2009 at 2:18 pm
(12) Carol says:

I had an aunt who was from Chile. She always had beautiful skin. When one day I asked her how she did it. She told me when she was a young girl her great grandmother told her to start using chicken fat every night. She said it worked for her. I have never tried it. Anyone ever heard of this?

June 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(13) Angie says:

My secret to try is Emu Oil, it’s lighter and not as heavy as straight vaseline. After doing research on Emu oil, I discovered its used in alot of makeup, and in rubs because it’s one of the few products that can actually penetrate and go into the skin. I love it, and I buy it off the internet, can’t find it locally. Give it a try, you’ll love it.

June 29, 2009 at 3:36 pm
(14) Angie says:

Try EMU Oil, best by far! I order it from the internet. Not heavy or oily and is inexpensive. I highly recommend it.