1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Are You Guilty of Long, One-Length Hair?

By January 14, 2009

One of my favorite all-time quotes is from Jessica Simpson's hairstylist, Ken Paves. It ran in a magazine years ago (I have no idea which one) and his point still rings true today, "If it's all one length, long hair makes you look a hundred years old."

Ok, so that's a BIT of an exaggeration. But if you are over age 18 and you have long hair that's one length, get thee to the hair salon and ask for layers around the jawline. A few choppy pieces add definition and won't pull down your face. If you aren't guilty of this, but your 35-year-old sister is, show her this post and tell her, "See! Julyne says you are committing a beauty faux pas."

Comments

January 15, 2009 at 1:19 am
(1) Iz says:

What if you’re under 18 and have long hair that’s all one length? ;)

January 15, 2009 at 4:15 pm
(2) Liz says:

I agree. I’m seeing this more and more as women are deciding to grow out their straight or angle cut bobs. If you decide to grow out your bob, get some layers cut into it!

January 18, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(3) beauty says:

If you are under 18, then you can’t look 100 years old. Actually, this isn’t one of the worst beauty faux pas out there. But getting layers cut into your hair will take off years if you are over 30. Trust me on that one.

February 2, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(4) Miaow says:

I agree – even just a couple of layers make a huge difference. I actually think the same about same-length hair for teenagers. It looks boring, like it’s hanging there just waiting to be chopped. ;)

October 1, 2009 at 3:28 pm
(5) Kev says:

Hi I disagree. I have seen tons of ladies sporting all-one-length hair, and when it is styled it looks gorgeous, very pretty. Not everyone would look good in it of course. I don’t believe layers look good on everyone either. Many celebs (over 18) have all-one-length hair that looks Knock-out beautiful! My wife’s hair does not perform or look good with layers, they stick out all over. So she is growing them out and going for mid back all-one-length again. Her hair is gorgeous and looks great all-one-length.

I think it depends on the texture of the hair and face shape for what can look good.

I think that if it is given the styling and attention that layered styles get then it will look beautiful.

I think it is not fair to look at “before and after” shots where they make the “before” shot look bad on purpose with hair all messed up and harsh lighting on makeup free faces, to compare with amazing “after” shots. Look up all one length where it is being touted and you will see that it indeed can and does look wonderful. Thanks :)

April 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm
(6) Anna says:

I agree with Kev.

I think women with thick hair look great with one length. I have thick Asian / Pacific Islander hair, one length with tapering around the frame of my face and am 27 years old, most people mistake me for being 20 (walking next to my 10 year old son and strolling my 6 month old son at the mall, people think I am their sister) so I disagree that one length long hair ages a person. However, a person with long hair and life lines on their face accentuates old age. I feel that long hair frees a girl up to do many gorgeous hairstyles. I love waves that pin curls and braids create. Soft curls and waves look best on one length hair. When I do this, I notice that it turns heads, men are more obvious. Trust me I shy from being center of attention, I only wear my hair as such because I love my hair done that way, it is my every day accessory. My husband and sons love my long hair. I have had pixie cuts, short and long hair with layers and I must say I tire of them very easily. Not to mention what girl doesn’t have layers anymore? I am not crazy of the heavy on top and thin on bottom look layers give. When creating an updo; the ends are always sticking out. Lastly, I have to add that my length limit is above the rib cage or the small of the back, any longer is extreme. I am boggled as to why one would want that much hair!

August 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(7) rhonda says:

layers are just a way to distract from facial flaws, and also a way for women who dont have the self-control to grow long hair to keep themselves from getting bored. they cant stand to wait it out so they keep going to the salon to get snipped. what you have, then, is short hair with a couple long layers. your hair is only as long as it’s shortest layer.

September 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(8) Dee says:

I also agree with Anna and kev ! :)

I’ve had bangs and layered hair cuts as long as I can remember.

now that I’m 22 and my hair is almost one length and I love it ! I never looked better and I still get mistaken for a 16 year old.

I have thick black straight hair and I think having all those layers was just too messy.

most girls have layered hair. having one length hair makes you stand out in my opinion.

October 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(9) Ramona Q. says:

Layers are getting to be boring, as everyone has them. All one length hair stands out, as the above commenter said, too.

March 6, 2013 at 11:40 am
(10) Miranda says:

I’m 24 and when I was younger experimented lots hairstyles, but came to realize that one length hair works best for my hair type. I have thick black Asian hair, and it gets very messy with layers in it. With one length hair I can skip the styling part and just let my hair naturally air dry- much healthier and less time consuming for myself. The only downfall with one length hair is that it weighs my hair down at the crown, because it is quite heavy at the bottom. Other than that, I agree that certain hairstyles work better depending on hair type and quality.

February 8, 2014 at 3:37 pm
(11) Susie Q says:

I agree that for most women over 35, having hair all one length just makes you look older. I have a good friend that I’ve known for 20 years, who still has the same exact hairstyle she had when I met her back in the 90′s. And she’s 48! But I don’t have the heart to tell her that her down to her waist, hippy looking all one length hairstyle is just making her look much older now. She told me she will never, ever cut it short or have it layered. It’s what she likes. I keep mine with long layers and it works for me and people always guess I’m younger than my age.