1. Style
Julyne Derrick

How to Keep Blown-Dry Hair Fresh on the Second Day

By October 16, 2008

After I posted my how-to give yourself a professional blow-out article, Lorri wrote in to comment that she tried and loved it, however the next morning her naturally curly hair wasn't cooperating.

Lorri's question is excellent. How DO you keep your blow-out fabulous on Day 2, Day 3 and beyond? Here's my advice to Lorri:

Here's the deal about blow-outs: Once you sleep on it, your natural hair texture can spring to life. For me, this means my straight hair gets flat and oily. For you, it means your curly hair becomes unruly.

For curly hair, I suggest wetting a brush, shaking out excess water and running the brush through your hair while blow-drying. You can also use a couple spritzes of styling spray to keep it in place. If hair is really coarse and dry, try palming a bit of serum or leave-in conditioner on hair. I recommend Kerastase leave-in conditioner since Kerastase is the Ferrari of conditioner. Product will tame any fly-aways and "unrulies."

Straight, fine hair tends to become oily after a day. Keep second day hair fresh with a sprinkling on the crown of talcum powder or dry shampoo. There are many sprays on the market that fight oily hair (like Ojon's Rub-Out Dry Cleanser, Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder and Jonathan Redo Freshen-Up Mist For Hair & Skin). Beauty experts swear by those products, but I have to admit I own them all and I still reach for my big ole' bottle of Johnson & Johnson baby powder.

Comments

October 17, 2008 at 11:12 am
(1) mick says:

okay, i have a question for those with A LOT of hair, and who recommend washing every couple of days….

even if your scalp is not oily, what do you do about the smell? I live in the city and my hair collects all sorts of street, food, smoke smells. I know it happens to others because my friends acknowledge it is a factor in their own wash routine. (Yes, it could just be clothes but the musty city smell remains in the locks after a shower if you don’t wash the hair).

Remember the old 80′s brooke shields commercial about hating being around a smoker just after she washed her hair? What do you do about the smell?

October 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm
(2) Lorri says:

Thanks Julyne! I will give it another whirl this weekend. I love not having to go to the salon to have it done!

October 18, 2008 at 2:26 am
(3) beauty says:

Mick asked what to do about getting rid of smells in hair from smoke, etc.

You have a few options: Rinse hair with water and conditioner only in the shower. Don’t shampoo. Let hair air-dry.

Invest in Jonathan Freshen-Up Mist for hair and skin. This spray was specially formulated to refresh models’ dirty hair on the runway. It contains a vegetable enzyme that neutralizes odors and cucumber/rose water to refresh the hair. It has no alcohol so it’s not drying. Good luck!

October 18, 2008 at 2:32 am
(4) beauty says:

Oh, I forgot… Mick you can follow the link above for the Jonathan product. It may be hard to find if you don’t live near a Sephora (where I bought mine).

October 20, 2008 at 12:42 pm
(5) Jean says:

You promised a new picture of yourself would be up on you column page. Speaking of hair, didn’t you cut yours off? Thank goodness.

October 20, 2008 at 7:41 pm
(6) Liz says:

I like to use the T3 dry shampoo, because they have a formula for dark hair. My dark brown hair always looks grey and powdery when I use any of the other dry shampoos or baby powder.

October 29, 2008 at 3:39 am
(7) Loulou says:

Julyne, if I use the brush through my curly hair while blow-drying it won’t be curly as it used to be. I want to keep my natural curly hair for more than a day or 2, make my curls look lively. thks for your help.

November 4, 2008 at 1:36 am
(8) Monica says:

What is your advice for wavy hair that tends to lose the style and get oily 2nd day onwards?