1. Style
I read in a magazine recently that a couple 20-something's -- ordinary women just like me except I'm not 20-something -- get their hair blown out every week. It's their beauty secret. Now, I don't know about you, but I could never get myself to a salon once a week and I couldn't bear to sit still in a chair for a weekly blow-out, even though my 91-year-old grandmother has done it for like 50 years. I'm a wash, quick hair-dry and run kinda girl.

Still, there is nothing like a professional blow-out.

Today, I show you step-by-step how to give yourself a professional blow-out. In this economy, this article is a must-read. On a side note, the secret to a good blowdry is to dry layers of hair from bottom working your way up, rather than sections, done from side-to-side. It's supposed to add more body.

Comments

October 15, 2008 at 10:59 am
(1) mick says:

okay, I’ll show my ignorance. I never heard of a “blow out” in the south (unless you were talking about the local races or billyjoe’s BBQ). Moving to NYC, I’ve heard about it and have actually had one or two (I think)–as separate from the styling that comes after a cut…in the south it’s called getting hair “done” but is usually only for old ladies who sleep in hairnets (the helmet) or just prior to special days (pictures, proms, weddings, showers).

I must be missing something. I don’t like blow-drying at the salon (any salon). They make my hair sticky and straight…no life, no fluff, and god forbid I try to run my fingers (or anyone elses’) through it.

Everyone (salon people, friends) is always so chipper about how nice and shiny and sleek (vidal type hair) it is –I think it’s lifeless. Usually the first thing I do after a style is go home and wash it, letting it airdry so it feels like my hair again. I have wavy hair. It kills me when they dry it straight and then curl it with heat back into its natural patterns.

The next day it looks worse and with the products, feels dirty, so I can’t imagine the process being good for anything other than the aformentioned special event.

All my friends will move heaven and earth to make these appointments and their idea of a rich and fullfilling life is to get a blow out each week. What am I missing here?

October 15, 2008 at 2:47 pm
(2) Jo-Lynne says:

I have just started doing this right, and it’s amazing how much better my hair looks. Great advice!

October 15, 2008 at 4:21 pm
(3) beauty says:

Mick,

It’s quite possible that your hair simply looks better air-dried rather than blown dry.

I don’t always like the way my hair looks after it’s professionally dried, either, and it takes forever because although my hair is thin, there’s a ton of it, so it’s my least-favorite part of the hairstyling process.

But some women swear by it. And I love the way my own hair looks when I do it myself right.

Cheers!
Julyne

October 16, 2008 at 4:14 pm
(4) Lorri says:

Julyne-

Do you have any tips for styling a blow-out on day #2? I tried it last night and loved it – but this morning it was not cooperating. I have very thick, wavy hair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

October 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm
(5) beauty says:

Lorri,

Soooo glad you tried it. Here’s the deal about blow-outs. Once you sleep on it your natural hair texture comes out. For me, that means my straight hair gets flat and oily. For you, that means your curly hair becomes alive and somewhat unruly.

For curly hair, I suggest wetting a brush, shaking out excess water and running it through your hair while blow-drying. You can also use a couple spritzes of styling spray to keep it in place.

If hair is really coarse and dry, try palming a bit of serum or leave-in conditioner on hair. This tames any fly-aways and “unrulies.”

For straight, oily hair such as mine, keep second day hair fresh with a sprinkling on the crown of talcum powder or dry shampoo.

Cheers!
Julyne

October 20, 2008 at 1:35 pm
(6) Tish says:

I blow-dry my hair almost daily (I have to wash often because of greasiness). When I want my hair to look like the salon, though, I use a Hot Air Styler because I find round brushes AND my hair dryer hard to navagate. My styler is something like this:

I use a blow-dryer until my hair is three quarters of the way dry, and then I use this to smooth the ends. As an every-once-in-a-while treat, it really makes my hair look great.

October 20, 2008 at 9:57 pm
(7) Virginia says:

I have never used anything but bobby pins to style my hair- I’m 71 and wash my hair only about once a week unless swimming, but set it nightly and comb it out in the morning. I have to check out your instructions, but my hair has a very fine texture and has never been thick (less now). I have seldom used salons even in younger days exept for color, so have little/no knowledge of that.

October 21, 2008 at 4:54 pm
(8) charmaine Dorma says:

I AM ENJOYING YOUR BEAUTY TREATMENTS BECAUSE I HVEA SCARS ON MY FACE AND SPOTS I AM 42 YEARS OLD.

October 13, 2010 at 12:54 am
(9) Robyn S says:

Good blowout techniques….Shielo has some good tips on how to give a blowout and I’ve been using their signature blowout now for about 6 months – and saved so much money at the salon!

You can find their directions for giving yourself a blowout here: http://www.shielo.com/styling/shielo-blowout.html

enjoy!