1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Mascara That Will Survive Sweat, Rain & Choking Smog

By April 24, 2008

Last night at dinner my friend Nia said to me, "I have to ask you, what mascara do you wear?"

At that moment I was wearing Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara in the pink bottle with the green cap because it's been hyped up for years as being THE drugstore mascara of choice and I wanted to see if it was all it's cracked up to be (the answer is, yes, it is). But it turns out Nia wanted to know what mascara I wore on our February trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand because every morning I insisted on wearing mascara and Nia couldn't believe a) that I was doing such a thing in the wicked heat and b) that the mascara didn't budge through rain, sweat and choking smog.

So what's the magical mascara, she asked. The answer: Lancome Hypnose. It's really more of a go-out-at-night kind of mascara because it really thickens and lengthens lashes, but turns out it's also a traveling-in-Southeast-Asia mascara as well.

Comments

April 24, 2008 at 5:17 pm
(1) Patti says:

I found that most mascaras run and smudge. Try this…Using your setting powder on your lashes (with your eyes closed). It will adheare to the lashes better. Then If you blow on the brush for just a few minutes and blot the tip before appiying it,there are far less clumps. I am in my 50′s and like a less made up look. I always apply from the base of the lashes to the tips and wait a few seconds, then reapply just to the tips. Hope this works for you too.

April 28, 2008 at 1:02 pm
(2) sallydee says:

Kiss Blinc Masacara is the best. It ‘tubes’ lashes. It is easily removed with warm water. It does not run or flake.

April 28, 2008 at 1:17 pm
(3) Suesan England says:

I have been looking for a hypo-allergenic mascara for years. I have tried most brands, and my eyes still swell shut within 30 min. Can you help me?

April 28, 2008 at 1:29 pm
(4) Pamm says:

MAYBELLINE GREAT LASH IS THE BEST FOR YOUR MONEY! I HAVE TRIED EVERY DRUGSTORE AND EVERY DEPT STORE BRAND OF MASCARA. AND ALWAYS GO BACK TO GREAT LASH!

April 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm
(5) Nancy says:

I take off my makeup at night. Tried several makeup/mascara removers. Presently using Neutrogena mascara remover YET in the morning I have smudges under my eyes. Any mascara that totally comes off at night so I don’t look like a racoon in the morning. I never have smudging problems during the day but the morning – oy vey.

April 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm
(6) Dorina says:

For SE looking for a hypoallergenic mascara:

My eyes typically get irritated with most mascaras and I wind up wanting to rub my eyes by the afternoon.

I love Neutrogena Weightless Volume. It lasts all day, no irritation, and washes off quickly. It has no waxes in it which weighs down lashes and must be what irritates me-no more rubbing eyes. =)

I must admit the first couple of applications doesn’t appear to do much – maybe the brush isn’t wet enough with the mascara – but after third use, my lashes are long and lush. Great brush too! (I have this problem w/all mascaras tho!)

Highly recommended!

April 28, 2008 at 3:11 pm
(7) Edm says:

I always use waterproof and lengthening mascara, I’ve tried that of L’Oréal, Maybelline, Max Faxtor, and all worked well, none of them smudged.

April 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm
(8) Lorna says:

Interesting experience with Lancome Hypnose mascara. I have recently returned from a cruise in S E Asia. It is very humid. I just did not wear make up during the day (apart from lipstick), as I thought everything would just run off. I made up for it by night on the ship, though.

April 28, 2008 at 4:28 pm
(9) Janice says:

I have never understood why Maybelline’s Great Lash is so popular– it is one of the worst mascaras I’ve ever used — it runs, smudges, flakes and clumps on me plus it irritates my eyes and makes my lashes fall out. There are so many other mascaras out there that are far better and aren’t expensive either– L’Oreal’s Voluminous is much better.

April 28, 2008 at 7:15 pm
(10) N says:

My favorite Mascaras right now our from Boots — I’ve tried all the no7 which are hypoallergenic and fragrance free and give them a thumbs up. I have even heard that their Botanics mascaras are great for people w/ eye sensitivities. I also do the powder on the lashes trick to stop smudging. It really works. And I use the Boots Botanics eye make up remover. It takes everything off the eye w/o leaving racoon eyes in the morning.
Happy hunting!

April 28, 2008 at 9:18 pm
(11) Sunny says:

I use Maybelline’s waterproof “Marathon” mascara, in the green tube. Doesn’t run rub, or flake on me.

April 29, 2008 at 6:18 am
(12) Rachel says:

To everybody who has problems getting mascara off: Use Baby oil. I promise you, it’ll solve all your mascara problems instantly, and it’s like $7 for a large bottle.

April 29, 2008 at 10:00 am
(13) Josette says:

More support for Maybelline Great Lash!
I have tried many, many different brands and still love Great Lash – Maybelline makes many different mascara formulas that are wonderful as well.
I tried the Lancome Hypnose, as well as other Lancome mascaras – I really cannot stand the SCENT of all Lancome mascaras – I’m not sure what it is, but Lancome is the only brand I’ve come across that the mascaras all smell this way. Also, I did not like how it flaked off. Sorry Lancome lovers!

April 29, 2008 at 10:24 am
(14) Therese says:

I’m with others – why the years of hype about Maybelline’s Great Lash?? I’m a cosmetic junkie and even tried this several times to see if I was missing anything. I’m not missing anything. I always wear waterproof and lengthening and have found Loreal and Cover Girl to be far better in the drugstores. MAC and Estee Lauder is a bit more pricey but also good mascaras!

April 30, 2008 at 8:45 pm
(15) marsha says:

I absolutely love Maybelline Greatlash Waterproof Mascara!! It doesn’t smudge or sweat off. It stays put! I just wish someone would make a foundation that can help hide enlarged pores! I was using a great foundation by Covergirl called Outlast and now it has been discontinued or not available in my area now! I loved it! Anyone got any ideas on foundations that don’t lay in your pores and make them more visible? Please help! Thanks!

May 8, 2008 at 2:07 pm
(16) Patricia says:

I tried this Lancome Mascara and love it. I am 60 years old and blessed with youthful looks. My eye color is green/blue with brown specks so I have always played up my eye makeup. My lashes look so long and luxurious with no clumping!! Love it!!! Sometimes it pays to spend a little extra.

November 2, 2009 at 5:48 pm
(17) mila says:

how to take off waterpoof mascara? i used oil, soap and lotion didn’t work.

November 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm
(18) beauty says:

To remove waterproof mascara, you must use a makeup remover. Clinique makes the best one but you can get good ones at the drugstore. That’s the one downer to waterproof mascara — you have to buy a special remover for it!