1. Style
Julyne Derrick

More Information on Retin-A & Other Vitamin A Derivatives

By January 2, 2008

I've gotten a slew of emails and positive responses to an earlier post on Retin-A and why I love it. To answer some more of your questions:

1. Retin-A is available in the US by prescription only. Ask you doctor about Renova or Retin-A Micro. These are formulations of Retin-A created to combat wrinkles. They are more moisturizing than Retin-A.
2. If you live in a very sunny climate, consider that you really need to keep your face out of the sun.
3. There will be redness and peeling at first. This is normal. Breakouts and hives are not.
4. I do not know about other countries and if you can get it without a doctor's prescription. (Sorry!) I can tell you that in the U.S. you need a prescription.

Comments

January 7, 2008 at 2:31 pm
(1) Gail Marcus says:

I used the generic Retin A when we lived in SanDiego. The climate was so dry even though we lived 2 blocks from the beach. We moved to Naples, Florida and everyone has a great complexion as the air is not polluted here and my skin feels moist and youthful from the pristine environment! It looks better here without any topicals!

January 7, 2008 at 3:42 pm
(2) J.T. says:

Does anyone know about how long before you get adjusted to the Renova? I give up before because I hate the peeling!

January 7, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(3) Silvia de Castillo says:

Thanks for this post, as now I know that the redness and peeling is normal. Actually I got quite worried about this reaction and discontinued its use for a couple of days. I live in Guatemala and here we don’t need a prescription to buy Retin-A, and it costs Q.120.00 which is about US$.15.00

January 7, 2008 at 5:03 pm
(4) Susan says:

You MUST absolutely use a broad spectrum sunblock if you use a Retin-A or Retin-A product. In fact you should wear sunblock every day, no matter the weather, to protect your skin from sun damage!

January 7, 2008 at 10:03 pm
(5) Suzanne says:

I live in New Zealand & you can only get Retin A here on pescription.
To combat the dryness, I mix it wth my daily sunscreen moisturiser so it isn`t so harsh on the skin.

January 10, 2008 at 3:11 pm
(6) Amy says:

I get my retin-a from india from a pharmacy that requires a prescription but I pay only $10 for two medium tubes of the .1 percent.
TIP: if you are thinking about starting Retin-A and your skin isn’t crystal clear in terms of blemishes, I strongly advise preceding your use of it with several weeks of 2 to 3 per cent benzoyl peroxide. (harder to get in that strength but the ten per cent will make you peel and flake like crazy). if two per cent is too hard to find you can use the ten percent kind to easily make your own 2.5 percent version by squeezing one dab into your palm along with three equal-sized dabs of your favorite moisturizer, mix and apply.

February 4, 2010 at 5:01 am
(7) karyl says:

i ordered retin-a recently in http://www.medsheaven.com and it really work well for me. my acne has improved.

September 8, 2010 at 6:01 am
(8) TOY says:

Hello everyone, I always ask my family to get retin-a from pharmacy and send to me in Australia, I have been using it for 3 years and I donít want to pay expensive price in here.
The product name is Retin-A cream 0.05 % ( Manufactured by OLIC (Thailand)Limited for JANSSEN-CILAG LTD company) .
This product contained Tretinoin 0.05% it come in a tube of 10g and 20g.
So if anyone would like to have this product or have any questions please email me at toynaka@yahoo.com .

August 26, 2011 at 8:09 am
(9) Jackie says:

I use renova too, but it has dryness.. Excuse my English as I come from Croatia but it is nice when used with moisturizer. My dermologist say use Renova but also use sunscreen. Avoid walk in sun and very important, dont use more than one type of cream together or else pfft.. it will increase problem =(

love,