1. Style
Julyne Derrick

More Makeup & Hairstyle Tips for Older Women

By December 6, 2007

Wow, the readers have spoken! Apparently there's a large faction of older women dying for beauty tips and I agree most of the Websites out there seem to be written for the under-30 crowd. Well, I'm here to please, so here's a few more tips for you...

Sometimes all an older woman needs to look glamorous is a crisp white shirt, a chin-length bob and a fabulous pair of glasses. A good pair can make you look sophisticated, while a bad pair can age you up to 20 years.

Silver hair is hot, hot, hot. Get inspired to stop coloring yours by reading about Anne Kreamer and her book, "Going Gray." At 49, Kreamer gave up the dye for good and found she even got more "dates" as a silver-haired fox.

Don't believe anyone who tells you not to go long after age 35. These days women of all ages look gorgeous in long hair. Just be careful not to go too long. A perfect cut is just above the shoulders, not very long, but certainly not short either.

Check out more beauty tips in my Beauty Over 50 section.

Comments

December 10, 2007 at 5:30 pm
(1) JUDY K. says:

HI,
I don’t know what I did before but it just submitted before I was done. Well, I will try again. I decided to let my hair grow out to the natural color. It is a very dark brown that looks black with alot of shiny silver in it.

I am 51 & since I was in my 20′s have dyed my hair from bleached blonde to black. At 1st it was ok, but over the yrs. left me with alot of damage. Now when I go to get a trim, the stylist will act like it is something to be ashamed of. I was told to dye it even though my hair is still damaged from previous hair color. Or the stylist will whisper, you can comb your hair down to cover it on the sides. Also, you don’t have too much yet. Some people act if a lady has white, silver or a mixture that it is a terrible thing. I love it & so does my husband. I also have seen many women with bad dye jobs to cover the gray. Then some look good with the dye & highlights. It all depends on how the person feels about silver hair. Also the stylist who tell me about it are my age most of the time. It is about time that people celebrate it. Though I do know that some men & women do not like the gray hair. But I am very pleased to see some more about beauty & other things for older women. Please show some photos of women with white, silver & gray hair.

I’m dealing with health problems & it is very uplifting to read about fun things for older good looking women. I do wish that everyone has a healthy, nice holiday season. Best wishes to all, Judy K. Chicago (the icy, windy, chilly city)

December 10, 2007 at 5:49 pm
(2) Suzy says:

Thank goodness that there are more articles regarding beauty and the older woman. I am 45 and believe it or not, I still have not one gray hair on my head!
Amazing, I think.. Or should I say it’s in my DNA. My maternal Grandmother died at age 85 with no gray hair, and my mom
died at a very young age, again with
no grays. My sister has gray, my father had gray, my brother has gone bald, but
me: I still have the blonde hair I was born with. Since my hair is “dirty brown/blonde,” I foil frost it with lighter blondes. It comes out great, and
I just got it done two days ago. My hairdresser really knows what she’s
doing!

December 17, 2007 at 7:27 pm
(3) penny says:

Your article on movie actresses Ie demi moore what a difference hair and make-up make. Shouldn,t you be saying what a difference a plastic surgeon makes?!!!She and the others look younger ONLY because they have had surgery! Not because of make-up or a new hair colour!

June 7, 2008 at 1:50 pm
(4) kathy says:

Finally, I’m 47 and have greying temples. I want to be the new secure with herself women of the millenium age who celebrates her grey. I ‘ve earned them and I think we’re not giving men credit enought for be attracted to the wise women!

August 26, 2008 at 5:20 pm
(5) Wendy says:

I am 48 and have had silver hair in the front and sides since I was 24. I started coloring it when I was 30ish. When I turned 47 I was so sick of coloring it (had to do it about every 3 to 4 weeks ’cause grows fast or something. It is now mostly silver and dark brown. I have had more compliments than I did when my hair was more brown than silver. People say it brightens my face ’cause it frames it well. I feel very good about my decision.

April 3, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(6) Elizabeth R says:

If it weren’t just a little discouraging, it would be amusing to think of 45, 50 and even 60 year old women as “older”. Most of the beauty hints for mature women are aimed at the thousands of baby boomer women, which is understandable. There’s almost nothing out there for women like me, perhaps because we’re considered too old to care?! (Guess what? We aren’t!)

At age 72 I’m a member of the so-called “silent generation.” There weren’t very many of us which makes us easy to overlook. I’m in good health, enjoy beauty and fashion and want to look as good as I can for as long as I can. I’m petite (a tad under 5’3″ and about 105 lbs). I’m fortunate to still be working–even in this economy.

Like many among my generation, my skin is damaged from too many summers in the sun (I still like a lightly-tanned look in the summer but now it’s from a tube). Although I’m in relatively good shape, I can’t wear many of the current fashions and sometimes feel that I’ve lost my signature look somewhere along the way.

I’m not sure what’s my “best” hair color. I don’t want to risk (and can’t afford) cosmetic surgery so I’m stuck with what I’ve got. I’m a realist–I know I can’t look 40 again, but I wouldn’t mind looking closer to 62 than 72.

Is there anyone else out there who’s 70+ like me and has perhaps found good answers to her beauty questions?

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 am
(7) Susi Tavernor says:

Hi – what a great blog! Liz R – sounds like you’ve taken good care of yourself which is great. To update your look may I suggest you spend an afternoon at your local library and look for inspiration looking through good quality magazines for women. Among the fashion and beauty pages you will find many women about your size and colouring and you will find a look you love. Not only clothes, but hairstyles and makeup too! Remember, there is nothing wrong with being “a copy cat” until you find your own individual new look which will come as you don’t slavishly follow every idea you see.

Despite a lifelong aversion to bright colours, especially red, the most effective change I’ve made to my wardrobe recently is….wearing red! I have a red jacket, red sweaters, etc., which look especially great with cream, grey, (v.occasionally with black) and every wearing produces positive comments from everyone!

I’m 5ft 4 “well rounded” (i.e. somewhat overweight and v.buxom!) with silver hair flecked with my original colour, dark brown. Notice – original- not natural, as silver is my natural colour now. (Currently in a chin length wavy little maintenance bob. Most people say I look a lot younger than my 71 y.o. husband….I will turn 63 this July! Most guesses are around early to mid fifties and I receive many compliments on my relatively wrinkle free face……moral of the story to all you lovely “ladies of a certain age”…try not to lose too much weight, or at least do it very slowly. The saying…”as women age we need to choose face or figure” is somewhat true. That is not a license to let ourselves go and for the sake of our health women like me carrying extra pounds (or kilos) must endeavour to keep fit as do our slim friends. Just 10 minutes walk five days a week is a good start, not only producing better muscle and skin tone, but gentle exercising of internal organs and increased blood circulation brings great benefits towards a healthy longevity. Research shows that a regular 10 minute walk produces waist measurement reduction which is good for heart health and for those of us who suffer arthritis etc., joint pain decreases on an average of 30%!

Elimininating sugar and artificial sweeteners from our intake jump-starts our healthy eating plan for “the rest of our life”. Good food – including regular intake of fruit vegetables is imperative for all ages in the pursuit of functioning and looking the best we can be.

Oh well – I could go on and on, but hey! My advice right now…..turn on music you enjoy, spray a little lovely perfume, (a dab of vanilla essence from the pantry is a good substitute!)sit down and enjoy a nice cup of tea (green tea for maximum benefit is great!) or coffee….read a good book or ring a girlfriend for an uplifting chat. (Agree not to discuss aches and pains). If anything’s troubling any of you ladies out there….talk to God, then to a friend, remembering that a burden shared is a burden halved!

SusiMinz

May 8, 2009 at 9:17 am
(8) beauty says:

Susi,

What a lovely and inspiring email. I hope many women get a boost from reading your advice.

–Julyne