1. Style
Julyne Derrick

Yummy Lip Balm — Now Available in the U.S.

By May 14, 2007

A friend of mine raves about Labello lip balm, a German-made favorite that, according to the May issue of Domino magazine, is finally available in the United States. She loves that it feels creamy, not waxy like other lip balms, and it tastes great while giving her lips a bit of a tint. She also uses it during all seasons. One minus: It doesn't contain SPF. Buy it almost anywhere in Europe. Here in the US, check it out at www.smallflower.com.
The reviews over at Makeupalley.com are good, but like most reviews on there the lip balm seems to have its rabid fans and a few "I bought it because of the good reviews and it did nothing for me" dissenters. So I'm curious what you think. If you've tried Labello and love it or threw it out, weigh in below.

Comments

May 18, 2007 at 11:21 am
(1) Jasmine says:

I was never aware that Labello wasn’t sold in the USA(I’m German). I really love Labello, my lips get very dry very often and a bit of Labello always helps them. I always have at least 3 different Labellos :)

May 24, 2007 at 9:53 am
(2) Dally says:

I am so happy to hear this.. My dad brought a Labello 10 years ago, from when he traveled to Mexico on business trips. Every time he went I made him bring me dozens of sticks.. This product is the best lipbalm ever, I especially love the tinted kind. THANK GOD is here!

July 20, 2007 at 12:05 am
(3) elizabeth says:

I was just in Italy and I bought some because it was the only chapstick I could find. I love it. I want more. I’ve been searching the internet because it’s the best ever.

August 2, 2007 at 12:15 am
(4) Jackie says:

I absolutely love Labello, but where can I find it here in the US of A?

September 7, 2007 at 1:54 am
(5) Bethany says:

My mom and I are huge fans of Labello lip balm! My family lived in Europe for a few years and that was when we discovered Labello. When we moved back to the U.S. we realized how much we relied on it and we missed it so much! My mom is having to resort to bribing people from here who are visiting Europe to bring her back Labello! It is very nice to know that Labello is available in the U.S. now!!!

November 27, 2007 at 10:11 am
(6) laura says:

I just bought some Labello while I am here in Paris and it feels much softer than other lipbalms in the US. I love the unique flavors, sweet melon is delish! I went back and bougt 5 more to bring back to the States with me!

April 30, 2008 at 4:39 pm
(7) Lois says:

I am a licensed Esthetician and I am thrilled Labello is sold here now. I tried it when I went to Switzerland, and have asked anyone when they travel to Europe to bring me back a tube.

May 1, 2008 at 10:25 am
(8) Stefanie says:

My sister brought me the Labello Velvet Rose balm from Israel b/c she heard it was such a big deal from locals. I am obsessed with it and pay $15 or more to get it sent from Amazon. Is there any word on where they are selling the Labello products? Also, I read that they are also sold under Nivea which we obviously have here but are the Nivea lip balms the same as the Labello?

July 23, 2008 at 8:58 pm
(9) Kathy Ann Walsh says:

I am also a big fan of Labello lip balm. I first bought one a few years ago in Germany and had forgotten about it until recently when I was in Mexico and came across it again and bought the Rose version. There is a website called http://www.getcanadiandrugs.com that carries the Labello brand as well as some that were Labello that say “now Nivea lip care” at under $3 which is much less than sunflower.com which appears to be $7 and up. Another lip balm I like is the Alba Hawaiian Coconut Cream but it does sometimes get waxy toward the end of the tube.

September 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm
(10) Diane says:

I lived in France for years and ask every friend of mine coming from Europe to bring me back the Labello classic. I just ran out and am searching the web for it because my friend from Germany isn’t sending it fast enough. I am telling you, ahnds down this is the best lip product in the world. It’s smooth and creamy and keeps your lips soft. i love it!

September 18, 2008 at 9:45 am
(11) Beth says:

I love Labello lip balm! I lived in Germany for 3 years and bought Labello since it was cheaper than any other AM brands that I was used to buying. I never had chapped lips for the time that I used Labello, and we spent most winters skiing in the Alps. There’s nothing like cold, high altitudes to challenge both lip and skin moisturizers! Labello goes on smoothly and is absorbed so much faster into the lips. It’s a joy to wear! I love the Honey one and it’s available with SPF, which is always important when skiing!
I’ve been back in the States for almost three years now and finally ran out of the Labello that I had stashed away. I spent most of this past winter with dry, chapped corners of my mouth. I was excited to learn that I can replenish my supply of Labello without having to travel to Europe!
Thanks for the info!

November 17, 2008 at 9:29 pm
(12) Zoe says:

i was visiting my grandparents in Germany(im from the USA) and bought labello. i loved it so much! i lost it when i got back, and just today when i got home i discovered that my dog had eaten it!!! so now im trying REALLY hard to find some cheap ones online… i wish they were sold in stores in the USA!!

December 8, 2008 at 4:18 pm
(13) Sydnie says:

Labello is now sold in the US. It is being sold as Nivea A kiss of moisture essential lip care. They have 4 types and one has spf 30! Its great lip balm!! I am a huge fan!!

January 25, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(14) Csilla says:

I simply love Labello! I am from Europe (Hungarian :) and I have always used it. I am really happy that finally we can purchase it here in the USA!!! In Europe they have lots of kinds, they have one for summer with spf (Labello Sun), for winter, a much thicker and creamier one (Labello Med Protection) and more flavored ones! I always bring some back to the USA :) Love it!

July 29, 2009 at 7:11 am
(15) kaylie says:

Labello is so great! I just bought one yesterday because i am on a trip in germany and omggg its so cool. this being available in america thing would be a lot cooler if it wasnt like 3 to 5 times the price. i got it for like 1.50 euro and the website provided shows them for 6.50-7.50 before shipping

October 1, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(16) Patton says:

I lived in Prague a while & became hooked on Labello Pearl & Shine chapstick. Really the best chapstick I’ve ever used – much, much better than any other brand. I even bought a stash to sustain me as we transitioned back to the States. Today I stumbled upon Nivea’s Shimmer chapstick which looks nearly identical to Labello &, sure enough, it’s manufactured in Germany. Thank goodness for my discovery because my Labello stash is running low.

March 2, 2010 at 9:02 am
(17) rachel says:

I am a chapstick connoisseur and I always have a few varieties with me everywhere I go. 9 years ago I did a semester in Florence Italy and a friend and I decided to find chapstick in every country we visited. While we were slightly disappointed that some countries like Italy only seemed to have Labello. We tried it and thought it was good, but not spectacular. We continued to use it here and there for the 4 months we were over there and the more we used it, the more we loved it. Over the years every time I go back I buy a handful and ration some and gift the others. I looked today for more since I’m running low and I found Amazon carries several varieties and some of the pricing is slightly lower.

May 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm
(18) katie says:

I tried all the organic lip balms and then decided to shell out an extra 50 cents to try the Made from Earth lip balms – first I tried the citrus one. It has a cool, refreshing kick that cools your lips and moisturizes. I will never go back or even bother tying any other kinds of lip balm now. This is indeed the best!

July 5, 2010 at 12:48 pm
(19) ediz says:

i hope all of you realize that labello is now WIDELY available in the US. it is sold as Nivea “Kiss of Moisture”. it comes in both spf and non spf versions. enjoy.

July 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm
(20) Peg Marshall says:

I love Lavello too. It is great! I agree with what everyone says. It is creamy. I do not like waxy. This seems good for your lips. My folks go overseas and I request 4 or 5. Now I am out and they are not going overseas. What actual stores sell Labello or Nivea A Kiss?

December 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(21) Neely says:

I bought it when I was traveling in Austria and lost my chapstick, and I have been obsessed ever since. I make all of my friends try it, and they absolutely go crazy over it too. It’s soft and smooth on my lips and gives them a little bit of a sheen that makes them appear bigger – and this was just with the classic Labello. I finally ran out, so now I appreciate that I can buy it online!

March 30, 2011 at 12:37 am
(22) RC Kennedy says:

Ive been using Made from Earths lip balm for about a decade now and Ive always loved it. It tastes, smells, and feels great on my lips.

Ive tried the other variations of their lip balm such as the blueberry, spearmint, and citrus. the citrus one is a bit too feminine for me. So Ive come back to the original vanilla flavor and Ill probably stick with it for awhile. The cooling instantly sooths my dry lips while the beeswax and oils leave my lips feeling soft and moisturized. If you havent tried it yet, you should. Bottom line: Theres a reason people swear by this stuff. Give it a shot.

December 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(23) Dennis says:

I too only stumbled onto Labello after I lost my good ‘ol American chapstick in Paris a couple of weeks ago. Labello Hydrocare was the only kind of lip balm selling in the Carrefour grocery store near the hotel, and I bought it because it was really windy, cold, and dry and I needed something. I thought it was a little pricey (about 495 [about $6.50]), but at that point I didn’t care how much it cost. Wow. What a great product. I can see that it is readily available from several US sources, so I guess I will henceforth become one of the Labello crazies. :)

December 28, 2011 at 10:55 am
(24) Dominika says:

Hi there! Im from Europe so fortunately I can say that Im the lucky one who can find Labello really everywhere. Have to say Ive tried several lip balm brands but Labello by Nivea is the winner! The best ever, I always have one in my pocket and its a truly good help if you have very sensitive lips as I do. Somehow these “magic lip balms” never disappoint me when needed. They have wide range of products and all smell so sweet and some can even replace lip stick if you accidantly dont have any. But personally I prefer the clasic ones with no or just a little color so I often use it as a base for any lip stick. Try and enjoy it if you can! cheers :)