1. Style
Julyne Derrick

**Is Mineral Foundation for You?

By January 25, 2007

Mineral makeup is incredibly hot right now and sales are climbing year over year, according a recent article in the New York Times. I recently fell in love with i.d. bareMinerals after being turned onto it by fellow blogger Christina at eBeautyDaily. Bare Escentuals, which makes Bare Minerals, is arguably the 'hottest' mineral makeup company right now (the founder actually dubbed the term, 'mineral makeup,' more than 20 years ago), but there are literally dozens of other companies who sell it (some for a lot less money), with more jumping on the bandwagon each year. So is mineral makeup for you? Here are some facts I found interesting from that NY Times article:

1. Because ingredients come quite literally from nature, some women with darker skin may not find a suitable match.
2. Coverage can be heavy and long-lasting, so it's great for women with acne, rosacea and scarring.
3. The heavy coverage also tends to emphasize fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Women with sensitive skin beware. While the best mineral products have no dyes or fragrances (common irritants), some products do contain bismuth oxychloride, which can irritate skin.

What I find most interesting about this makeup is how emphatic users feel about various products (check out the dozens of comments below). I think because of the pros and cons I mention above, some women have to really search to find the right mineral makeup for them.

**I rewrote this blog after people commented below incensed with me for plugging only Bare Minerals and wrongly accusing me of being paid for the plug. I look forward to testing out other brands. Photo: Pricegrabber

Comments

January 26, 2007 at 11:25 pm
(1) Brie says:

Let me tell you, I am a makeup artist and though I don’t tend to use bare minerals on my clients beause of the price, its the ONLY thing i use for myself. I swear by it. And not just the foundation. Every product I’ve ever used from them has been fabulous.

January 27, 2007 at 7:49 pm
(2) karen says:

I’ve been using mineral foundation for years and it is definitely the best. It is however not 40$. Bare minerals is 25$. The best buy is the kit. You get the foundation and the mineral veil.

January 29, 2007 at 12:30 pm
(3) andrea says:

i LOVE this makeup! the best thing about it is you can fall asleep without washing your face and not have to worry about waking up a greasy, broken out mess! it looks just about the same as it did when you went to sleep! and the comment above is right…all of the products are great from bare monerals!

January 29, 2007 at 12:32 pm
(4) Patricia says:

I can’t believe it took me until my mid-forties to find something that would work on my skin. I have very dry skin but break out easily – Bare Minerals works! I don’t break out and it feels wonderful on my skin….

January 29, 2007 at 12:48 pm
(5) Vanessa says:

BareMinerals is THE best mineral make-up out there. I’ve been using it for 3 years and I love it. It’s great for oily skin. The price is very reasonable and it lasts a long time.

January 29, 2007 at 1:02 pm
(6) Kate says:

This is by far the best makeup I have ever used. I also have lupus and it completely covers my mylar rash. My skin looks flawless every day. I agree, you need to buy the kit it is $60.00 and well worth it. I have spent almost that on foundation alone. The kit comes with 3 brushes a concealer, mineral veil, 2 colors of Bare Minerals and a primer. Bare Minerals lasts at least 6 months. I will never use anything else! People tell me all the time that my skin is beautiful, if they only knew how red it was under my Bare Mineral’s!!!! Even my Dr commented on my skin told me it looked Flawless. I told him all about Bare Minerals and now he suggests it for all his Lupus patients.

January 29, 2007 at 1:55 pm
(7) Elizabeth says:

I have been using Bare Minerals on my combination skin for about 4 years. I LOVE it. It has built in sun protection, the colors are very forgiving, the coverage is completely controlable and it always leaves your skin looking natural. It has never caused my skin to breakout, and I can wear it on days when my skin is super dry, or very oily. I have had many people compliment me on how lucky I am that I have such great skin, and that I never have to wear makeup. Hah…it is the Bare Minerals, not my natural beauty.

January 29, 2007 at 2:20 pm
(8) Luisa says:

I too use mineral makeup, have been for years. It is so easy, no worries about blending like you have to to do with liquids or creams. I just switched from BE to AVON (gasp!!) because they just started making a mineral foundation with SPF and hello! it’s under $10!

January 29, 2007 at 2:20 pm
(9) Bethann Z says:

Bare minerals makeup is great!! I have been using it for about 4 years and will never use the regular foundation again.

January 29, 2007 at 2:26 pm
(10) Manell says:

It gets too greasy especially in hot weather. It also accentuates wrinkles and is very messy and inconvenient to use.

January 29, 2007 at 5:50 pm
(11) Elizabeth says:

I do not use any mineral makeup. How does Bare Minerals compare to the Avon?

How does it cover acne scars and now wrinkles……

January 29, 2007 at 7:21 pm
(12) Tanya says:

I tried BareMinerals a few years ago and had an awful reaction to the bismuth oxychloride they (and most mineral makeup companies) use to enhance the texture of their products… I don’t have sensitive skin, but as I continued to use BareMinerals foundation,
my face gradually became more and more irritated, getting red and blotchy and itchy… I didn’t realize I was reacting to BareMinerals’ foundation until I switched to Aromaleigh Mineral Makeup and noticed a significant, almost immediate reduction in the irritation of my skin… other people might think it’s great, but I personally wouldn’t use BareMinerals makeup again if someone GAVE it to me; I love Aromaleigh’s quality, variety, value, and customer service — they beat BareMinerals and the other “big” mineral brands hands down! Julyne, this post sounded more like an unpaid (maybe not??) advert than a legitimate recommendation — shame on you!!

January 29, 2007 at 8:39 pm
(13) beauty says:

Hi Tanya, I’m sorry you had a bad reaction to this makeup. Mineral products are super trendy right now, but you are a good example of how even the purest products can fail some users. As for your claim that my post sounded like an unpaid (or paid) ad, I can assure that is not the case. Rather than plying my readers with new products that remain largely untested, I prefer to tout tried-and-true makeup and haircare products that have stood the test of time (BareMinerals has been out for more than a year and is a favorite of the truly beauty-obsessed: the beauty bloggers). This is a favorite foundation of mine (along with Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer). If I have not tried something myself, I say so usually with a ‘I have heard good things about…’ comment. Cheers!

January 29, 2007 at 10:01 pm
(14) Kathy says:

I do not like this foundation at all.
I have mature skin and don’t find this flattering at all. First of all it’s too shiny and the color selection is poor.
Just my two cents.

January 29, 2007 at 10:13 pm
(15) beauty says:

Hi Kathy, thanks for commenting. Actually, women with mature skin are better off with liquid makeup products which tend to ‘plump up’ skin so wrinkles are less apparent. Powder-based products are less forgiving on fine lines and wrinkles. Your best bet is to stick with liquid foundations, concealers and eyeshadows. Moisturizing lipsticks are also better than mattes. — Julyne

January 29, 2007 at 10:29 pm
(16) kiara says:

Well I personally don’t like BE after trying other brands like AL. BE to me seems to lack choices and color. I always refer to sites like makeupalley.com for other USER opinions and ratings and BE has pretty low ratings of half of the people who have used it. That site is now my mainstay before buying as I find they are always right. Sometimes I choose not to listen and I’m always wrong while their opinions are right (buying that horrible RareMinerals) which just does nothing for your face but break you out with the awful applicator. Plus the price is really high compared to other brands out there which to me are more quality but not the ones who first came out. I agree it’s a good concept HOWEVER other brands have improved upon the idea whilst BE has changed NOTHING about themselves to make themselves more user friendly.

January 29, 2007 at 10:48 pm
(17) Tara says:

There’s a BIG difference between “hottest” and “best.” I like Jane Iredale and Aromaleigh, but I’ve tried a lot of the other “hot” brands too. BareMinerals just doesn’t offer as much variety in their foundation colors as other brands, plus IMO they’re pricey for what you get. JMTC – YMMV! :)

January 30, 2007 at 12:14 am
(18) Marjorie says:

Hi – I have used Canary mineral makeup and have found it great. I only had the samples which they sent me to try. In this country (South Africa) nobody seems to be aware of mineral makeup and I haven’t found anywhere to obtain it. Buying from overseas is very expensive for me because of the rate of exchange as well as the cumstoms duites we have to pay for importing items. If anyone can tell me where I can obtain pure mineral makeup like the products Canary sells in South Africa, I would be most grateful. I like the idea of putting pure stuff on my face without all the chemicals etc.

January 30, 2007 at 9:52 am
(19) Becky says:

I love Bare Minerals. I also use the Skin Reverupper, I think that’s correct spelling, and it is great. I have noticed a huge reduction in the lines and wrinkles on my face, almost gone. I will use nothing else. The kit is really cheap if you break it down into pieces and see what you are getting for your money.

January 30, 2007 at 10:01 am
(20) Carolyn says:

I’ve been using BE for a couple of years and I love it. I find the color selection to be endless because I can mix my own custom color shades. I also mix shades of cheek color. If you want a liquid make up, mix a little BE foundation powder in with something else. I use Clinique City Block, Serious Skin Care A Primer, SSC Instatox, Prescriptives Magic and a little BE foundation powder. It covers beautifully. Lasts all day and doesn’t collect in the fine lines. It also is very pore minimizing.

January 30, 2007 at 10:10 am
(21) Becki says:

I love Bare Minerals. It covers my acne scars like nothing else I have tried. And it even stays fresh on the hottest day on the golf course. It’s expensive, but well worth the money.

January 30, 2007 at 11:32 am
(22) PA says:

Julyne, I’m a retired dermatologist in the SF Bay area. You should know that BareMinerals mineral makeup has been around for THREE DECADES, not only a year like you said above. Also, their advertising is somewhat misleading, because bismuth oxychloride IS in fact a skin irritant, and it’s routinely added to most mineral makeup as a texture enhancing agent. Although not everyone is sensitive to it, many people merely endure the irritation long enough to build up a tolerance to it; the woman who posted above about reacting badly to BareMinerals foundation is certainly not the exception, but in fairness she probably would’ve had the same reaction to almost every other brand of mineral makeup. Anyone who experiences redness, itchiness, dryness, flakiness, or other symptoms of irritation when using BareMinerals or any other brand of mineral makeup should look for a brand that does NOT list bismuth oxychloride as an ingredient, such as Aromaleigh. While BareMinerals IS a popular choice for makeup, it’s by no means the only option.

Here’s to beautiful skin!

January 30, 2007 at 11:45 am
(23) jill says:

I used BE for a few months and found that it made my acne prone skin very ithcy and somewhat orangish. I have sinced switch to Aromaleigh (www.aromaleigh.com) and have not had the itching or the orange color. I am extremely happy with it.

January 30, 2007 at 1:46 pm
(24) Drew says:

I switched to Aromaleigh mmu after having a bad reaction (eczema) on my face from Bismuth Oxychloride, an ingredient that is present in most brands of mmu (but NOT in Aromaleigh). Since I switched to Aromaleigh, my face has cleared up and has never looked better. Also, Aromaleigh offers more shades and is much more affordable. I’m glad I switched.

January 30, 2007 at 2:39 pm
(25) Jane says:

I have tried BE as well as about 4 other mmu brands.
Aromaleigh is the Best by far. AL does not contain ingredients which irritate my rosacea such as bismuth oxychloride.
AL is also very economical and has a huge array of color selections unlike some other mmu brands I tried.

January 30, 2007 at 2:47 pm
(26) Jane says:

I am a testament to mmu not accentuating lines on older skin. I will be 60 in a few months. I use Aromaleigh as stated above.

It is all about application. A little AL mmu goes a long long way. Heavy application or too light a mmu will cause accentuation of lines, leave a powder look. Also skin prep, well but not over moisturized skin- like with any makeup !

Al is so light on my skin I don;t even feel it . Lets my skin breath and gives me a healthy younger skin look at a reasonable price.

January 30, 2007 at 4:45 pm
(27) Tanya says:

Julyne, my apologies for basically accusing you of posting a paid plug for BareMinerals… it’s just that this article seems so out of character for you — most of your product reviews seem to offer several different options for consideration (you’re quite right that one size does NOT fit all), and I’ve always liked the fact that you seem willing to keep an open mind and look at everything that’s out there that you can get your hands on and then give your readers an opportunity to explore and find the products that work for THEM… so when THIS article seemed to say “TA-DA! here’s the ONLY mineral makeup brand worth trying,” I guess it just rankled me b/c I’d tried so many and just was NOT happy w/the only one you were offering for consideration… I hope you continue to provide readers who trust your opinions w/plenty of options for products — like someone else said earlier, “hottest isn’t always best”…! ;-) no hard feelings, I hope…

kind rgds,
T

January 30, 2007 at 10:43 pm
(28) beauty says:

I was wondering why in the world all the comments from Aromaleigh fans (why no irate Jane Iredale or Urban Decay aficionados?) and then I discovered my blog here was a hot topic in the Aromaleigh forum causing everyone to write in plugging… you guessed it…Aromaleigh. Anyway, I can assure my readers that I am never paid to shill a product. I don’t claim bareMinerals is THE best mineral makeup ever. It’s just my favorite foundation of the moment (and one I paid for, thank you very much!). That said, I do look forward to buying — and trying — Aromaleigh.

January 30, 2007 at 11:03 pm
(29) Beth says:

I have tried this product and many other different brands searching and searching for the perfectly flawless looking face and I have to say Bare Minerals is it!! It is really true that from start to finish I spent 15 minutes applying my make-up with a flawless finish! (and for me is really just about impossible!) I never had anyone show me how to really do the make-up thing right and with Bare Minerals you just really can’t mess it up!! It truely is simply and so natural looking and feeling!! I absolutely Love it!!

January 31, 2007 at 1:01 am
(30) Jezechai says:

I have to say, I have tried BareMinerals, Jane Iredale, Sheer Cover, etc. The list goes on and on… And none have worked as well as Aromaleigh. I was tempted not to post this, because of the not so nice comment regarding the Aromaleigh forum, but I have to share my two cents. Aromaleigh excels in color choice, coverage choice, and customer service. Never before have I had the FOUNDER of a company offer me suggestions or tips or her own two cents personally. I have also never found another Mineral Makeup that has worked EVERY time I have used it. I used Sheer cover for about 8 months before I finally gave up. and another 8 months went to Bare Minerals. I did like the feel of BM on my skin, but it did irritate after awhile, and, for the extremely pale persons like myself, it had to be applied whisper thin to match my skin tone. I am a very happy Aromaleigh convert, and I plan to stay that way, no matter what the ‘Big Girl’ companies have to say…

January 31, 2007 at 1:26 am
(31) Lucy says:

A friend who knows my makeup history sent me a link to this discussion. It is great that the one brand (BE) is great for some women. Unfortunately I am not one that it worked well for. I’m fair and have a cool complection. BE does not have a good cool-complection color palate. I bought a couple of their products that were supposed to go with ALL complexions (“Glee”) — wrong for me.
I’m in my 40′s I don’t have great skin yet I don’t have bad skin. I can honestly say that I had never seen my HUGE PORES before I used the BE foundation. The Bismuth Oxychloride (sp)ingredient is a bust for me. I didn’t have any break-out reactions but, woah mama, my face aged in just a few seconds!!

I do love their Mineral Veil since I do have oily skin.

Fortunately I found that there are many other Mineral Makeup companies out there. I now get my foundation from Aromaleigh. The difference is like night and day for me.

I thank BE for my introduction to Mineral Makeup AND for their Mineral Veil. I’ve switched to another brand though that works much better with my Scandanavian/light/pink skin tone and oily complection with a bit of mild rosacea added.

Thank goodness for choices!

January 31, 2007 at 9:33 am
(32) mary says:

Their eye liner is awesome.

January 31, 2007 at 11:01 am
(33) Bridget says:

I first used Bare Essentials/Bare Minerals nearly 20 years ago, when the company was founded. I had a very difficult time finding a match – actually, it was impossible. I’m pretty fair, but with equal parts pink and yellow. The two lightest tones just didn’t match me at all. And I couldn’t get a good application to save my life – seemed to really accentuate my pores, plus it made my face super shiny – not greasy shiny, just shiny, as though I’d been covered in metallic powder. So I set aside the idea of using that foundation, even though I liked the concept, and moved on to some shadows, thinking they would be idea for my very sensitive eye area. Big wrong – talking a major red, itchy, weepy burning rash that lasted. For ten days. Blah. Not condemning the line – I know now that bismuth oxychloride and carmine just don’t work for me, although they do for most people.

Anyway, fast forward to about 5 years ago, before my wedding. I was working with a facialist who recommended mineral makeups – she carried Jane Iredale, another mineral brand that has been around for many years. Again, the loose minerals make me look and feel shiny, I couldn’t get good coverage with the more matte pressed formula, and the color match was off. I moved on to Youngblood, which offered me a better match, and then somehow I found Aromaleigh.

Yes, I’m another die-hard Aromaleigh fan, with good reasons. No bismuth Oxychloride in any products, so I can use them. 275 eye shadow colors, and only a few contain carmine, so I can use them. The BEST color match I have ever found, in any line at all. A choice of foundation forumlas, both of which work well to blur the appearance of my pores and crinkles. And many choices of finishing powders, from oil control options to those that give a gentle glowy look without shine. And a TERRIFIC sampling program – you can literally try before you buy a full size of ANY product – something that BE doesn’t do, to my knowledge.

For everyone interested in mineral makeups and just getting started, you are in for a real treat – there are many many options at all sorts of price points.Try a few lines before you buy full sizes, check out colors and tones and depths that you aren’t sure about. Minerals rock, and for me Aromaleigh is the best!

February 1, 2007 at 12:04 pm
(34) Cory says:

I could not afford Bare Essentials, I have been wanting to try a mineral makeup for many years now but the prices are outragous! Then I too found Aromaleigh and I swear by it! The price is right and the products are High quality! Any company that lets you try inexpensive samples before you invest your money is a Great company! I hope all you Mavens try Aromaleigh, you will love it too!!

February 2, 2007 at 1:33 am
(35) Loida says:

I first got introducted to mineral makeup (like many out there) with Bare Minerals (used to be called Bare Escentuals). I like their products, but prefer other mineral makeup without the bismuth oxychloride, which makes me look too shiny. I don’t mind it however in the eye shadow products. But I don’t like my face to be looking oily.

I switched to Aromaleigh for it’s stellar products and great customer service. They’re forum is also very informative and supportive.

Couldn’t be happier with Aromaleigh!

February 2, 2007 at 9:38 am
(36) Mary says:

Had to jump into the discussion from over on my Thyroid site to add that I just started using Bare Minerals in the past month, and at 45 years old, I’m glad that I FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY have discovered the foundation of my dreams. My skin looks smooth, bright, clear (and I’m somewhat acne-prone), and actually, my skin is improving since I’m using it. Just a few months ago, makeup consisted of heavyduty concealer, foundation, brightener around the eyes, more concealer, blush, powder, and a bit of sparkly blush, and then, it all lasted about 10 minutes before it got all creased and awful, and never looked bright, or natural enough.

Now, it takes me about 5 minutes to do my Bare Minerals, and my makeup has never looked better.

It’s worth EVERY PENNY….

February 3, 2007 at 7:33 am
(37) Sherri says:

I love Bare Minerals. When I first purchase it I applied too much because it was unlike anything else I had ever used. Too much makeup isn’t flattering for any woman much less a woman of 42. Now that I have the hang of it I really love it. I wouldn’t use anything else!

February 3, 2007 at 11:28 pm
(38) LeeLaLee says:

I too am NOT a fan of BE – the bismuth whatever made my large pores look much much worse, and I could never, ever find a color match.
I tried a couple of different brands of MU. Larenim, AL, and Everyday minerals.
I liked larenims eye shadows but I couldn’t use Larenims foundation and blushes, as they were too orangey for my complextion but they’re eye colors are nice.
I found AL and was so happy to find a color that matched – but the glissade (foundation) gave me some acne problems and the viola (foundation) was too drying. But their color’s – oh happy day! The blushes, pure hues and eye liners and shadows are AWESOME! Hands down the best variety ever. And way cheaper than BE.
At last I found a foundation that I love completely – so for any other frustrated MU users give everyday minerals a shot. They didn’t upset my skin, in fact it improved it and the color was perfect.
Just some more ideas for makeup loving gals!

February 7, 2007 at 2:24 am
(39) Andrea says:

I spent many years working inthe cosmetics industry and was not tied to any line but used the ones I knew to be of excellent quality. I apologize up front for th elength, but please stick through this with me and hear me out, because I am not going to tell you BE is bad.

Personally, I started out with Bare Escentuals and I applaud them for being the one to pay the premium and getting the word out about mineral products. Mineral products are terrific and if you have not tried them or have not found a brand you like, keep looking. I had many of the same issues mentioned by others in previous posts, so I won’t repeat them. I am in love with their product called “Warmth” which gives me a beautiful glow like I had when I was young and my skin had its own dewy glow. It also lasts a really long time.

Eventually needing to find an alternative product to resolve the issues I was having with BE, I did an online search about other companies that sell mineral makeup (mmu) products and checked out all of the big names that often came with the big price tags. So that is how I ended up at Aromaleigh. WAIT! DON’T STOP READING HERE, THIS IS IMPORTANT:
What other posts failed to mention, and is a fabulous aspect of AL, is the community of new and veteran AL customers who offer their support, help, and sense of play with the makeup and colors via the Aromaleigh Aficionadas Forum. What? A forum just for their customers to talk about how they play with the colors, figured out the right products for themselves, resolved issues with colors, etc.? You got it! I often refer to it when I am looking for fresh ideas about blending my own custom, yet cost-effective lipstick, or when I want more information about adding a hint of color to mascara so that my green eyes stand out even more. No, you’re not limited to the colors offered by other companies out there! I am no longer inthe industry but I always like to keep up on what is fun and what makes me feel beautiful.

I am a color fanatic but always prefer to look naturally beautiful with that bit of mystique and, yes, I have a lot of fun with the AL line. One of my favorite things, is that AL offers samples so you don’t have to pitch out a lot of money to try the products. Not only that when I want to buy lots of colors to enjoy for less than 10 years (ok, I’m exaggerating, but you know what I mean) then I buy the little samples and play, play, play without the guilt of spending my retirement fund so that I may feel wonderful about myself and get to play with my makeup! Makeup should be fun and not a drag.

I do refer to Paula Begoun’s book “Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me” to get the nitty gritty on makeup and cosmetics. She has a website (www.cosmeticscop.com) and for a nominal fee you can subscribe to her “cosmetics update” that picks up where her book left off. It’s unbiased information and you can check the book out of almost any local public library off the shelf or by free Inter-Library Loan. After years of customers bugging her to come out with her own skin care line she did. After some major trauma to my face, my skin is finally looking beautiful again…from a health standpoint and from a cosmetic standpoint, I already have that taken care of with the AL line.

If you gain nothing else from this these posts, do a little research, try out different products and see which ones work for you. If two are exactly comparable to you, then choose the one that is a better deal, has better service, and who you enjoy supporting. One last thing: I prefer to support companies that make a difference in this world. AL supports The Heifer Organiztion (www.Heifer.org) a wonderful organization that gives people in third-world countries a hand up…not a handout!

I hope this helps~
Andrea

February 7, 2007 at 11:49 pm
(40) lisa says:

well, i have mixed feelings. when i found BE, i was psyched because i hate and won’t wear liquid foundation and i found that BE was effortless and felt like nothing was on my skin. however, i went to the doctor and he handed me a a magnifying mirror and to my HORROR i saw that my makeup was a cakey mess, emphasizing HUGE pores, awful!!! turns out since i am far-sighted i couldn’t tell how awful the makeup looked up close–from a distance i couldn’t tell and thought it looked great. after seeing the mess my face looked like in that mirror, i am done with BE. not sure that it is right for mature (45) yr old skin.

February 9, 2007 at 12:35 am
(41) Sarah A. says:

Well I started off using Bare Escentuals, and it worked for me for over a year. Then out of the blue, when the weather became extra cold this year (I live in California, and it’s normally not cold here as most know) I suddenly found my makeup getting blotchy and cakey just an hour or two after applying it. That’s a very bad thing to happen when you have a job that deals with the public, such as mine.
I’ve started the search for the past two to three weeks for my new mineral makeup brand, since I know the problem is not that it’s mineral makeup, it’s simply the formula. I love Aromaleigh’s brand, as well as Everyday Minerals (but they have a fairly small selection of foundation shades to choose from, so some may not be able to find a correct color match. Meow Cosmetics also has a enormous selection of shades and undertones available. Aromaleigh though has some wonderful eyeshadows and blushes that are to die for. Before going straight for Bare Escentuals because you can get it in ULTA or Sephora, look at other mineral makeup websites, and see what’s out there, you may be surprised at the choices to be had.

February 9, 2007 at 12:47 pm
(42) Diane W says:

I am always amazed when mineral make-up reviewers only mention the “big” companies, like BareMinerals, Sheer Cover, Jane Iredale, etc. Believe me when I say that there are so very many other smaller mineral companies selling their products on-line than those few. They all sell samples, not just AL. Nearly all of them are bismuth oxychloride free. Some refuse to use carmine because people can have allergic reactions to that as well. I know that people can have bad reactions to any product, no matter how natural or non-allergic it may be, nothing is going to work for everyone.

I have tried several various small mineral lines, including AL (it was my very first entrance into minerals). My experience with the company and its products were mixed. I like several other lines much better than AL because for me their foundation shades were much better and easier for me to find a color match.

I encourage everyone to try some of the small companies that offer stellar products and customer service. I don’t wish this to be an advertisement for any one company, so I won’t list names. Please expand your mineral make-up horizons. It’s easy to do and I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

February 10, 2007 at 9:04 am
(43) Cara says:

Bare Minerals is the McDonalds of mineral makeup. They have lots of $$ to flood the market and television with advertising, but they are far from being the best or the only choice out there. Just because it’s heavily advertised, doesn’t make it the best. There are cigarette ads everywhere…does this mean you should smoke??
This short blurb from Julyne seems completely gratuitous and disingenuous. First off, if she loves the product so well, and is so knowledgeable about it, why doesn’t she even know what it costs?? Maybe because B.E. gave her some for FREE?!?!?! I’m just speculating, but the point is, this seems far from sincere, and just another ploy for B.E. to try to maintain market share in a mineral makeup market that is getting more competitive by the day. There are FAR BETTER choices out there by some terrific small companies – Mineral Basics, MAD Minerals, Val Cosmetics, Fusion of Color, and many, many more. Too many to name. but the descriminating consumer, the EDUCATED consumer will know that having mass marketing dollars and media talking-head’s in their pocket does not equate a product to being the ultimate in quality or performance. It is well known that B.E. lacks in color selection, leaves an undesireable shiny finish, and contains Bismuth, which causes irritation, itching, and breakouts in many customers who have now switched to smaller, lesser known, but better quality lines. Do some homework ladies and see what else it out there. You will be pleasantly surprised that there’s more to life in the world of Minerals than Bare Escentuals.

February 10, 2007 at 7:36 pm
(44) beauty says:

Hi Cara & other commenters,

Thank you all for writing in. I can understand why you’d think I might have been paid for the Bare Minerals plug. While I never, ever plug so heartily a product I don’t truly love, in this case I fired off the original blog post in a lazy way and even plugged in a quote from the BE website. It’s a fair blog, but I can see why it might seem biased. Also, I noticed later to my chagrin that the beauty site is at times covered in Bare Escentuals ads! That said, I can guarantee you that I bought myself, and subsequently fell in love with, i.d. bareMinerals after reading many recommendations from beauty bloggers who are more obsessed with products than I am.

As beauty editors, we get a lot of free stuff, but I prefer to plug only products that I love, or that peers, friends and readers recommend. This is why I am very interested in the smaller lines some of you mention. I’m pulling together a bigger article on mineral makeup and depend on readers like you to let me know what’s out there. If you have a favorite mineral makeup line, please shoot me an email (beauty.guide@about.com) with your recommendation and why you love it. Cheers!

February 11, 2007 at 8:52 pm
(45) Bowlergal says:

Well, it looks like the AL fans are plugging here too, maybe they are getting a “treat” for this as well, as a treat was offered for posting “constructive” comments on epinions.

I too was a big AL fan, until I had a terrible customer service experience. I hope you never have to a return a defective product to them, because apparently AL doesn’t have any defective products (smirk) and if you find yourself with one and try to get it corrected, be ready for the wrath of the aromaleigh staff.

Certainly not worth the trouble. There are a lot of wonder mineral makeup companies out there. Please keep searching if BE doesn’t work for you.

February 24, 2007 at 4:43 pm
(46) Tammy says:

Mineral foundation has been a “miracle” find for me. For that reason, I, too, must put in my thoughts on Aromaleigh. Truthfully, this is the only mineral brand I have tried. I have been so completely satisfied that I never have a reaon to even think about trying anything else. I have had severe acne and mild rosacea since I was 17 years old. I just assumed it was just my skin. In 2004, I purchased Aromaleigh’s mineral makeup. I can count the number of acne breakouts I have had since on one hand. And I can mostly account for those due to “monthly” hormones.

I chose AL after a few months of research. The top reasons I chose AL over other brands: color selection, no bismuth oxychloride, and price. Now, I can add to these reasaon: quality, service, and healthy glowing skin.

And, no, I have never been asked or been paid in any way to give a review for AL. Just a great product worthy of my opinion.

March 8, 2007 at 4:18 pm
(47) Allie says:

I had to have an eye lift last October as the excess skin on my upper lids was impairing my vision. With the surgery, patients are given a choice of complementary services in skin care – I chose a facial. When I was finished, they applied Jane Ire (?) mineral makeup. I’m 56, but look 76 – lost a lot of weight and now have deep lines in my face. Maybe I’m not objective when looking at myself (or it’s just wishful thinking), but I don’t think the mineral makeup accentuates lines as much as regular makeup does. I love the mineral makeup! Wish I’d found it years ago! As for mineral makeup going on heavy, I use a damp sponge and coverage is more sheer – I tried using my fingertips and yikes! it really was heavy! ~~Allie

March 14, 2007 at 5:24 pm
(48) kelle says:

I have used be for about a year but i cant figure out what color would be good for me but so far i LOVE it….i just put a light application and im done……its reallly simple to do…

April 6, 2007 at 10:04 pm
(49) Ali says:

I am so thankful for mineral foundation. I have had break outs all the way through my early 30′s. Since using mineral foundation- I have not had the first break out. My skin tone has evened out and is no longer oily. I can reapply mid- day and not have a cakey makeup look. I just seem to have that great skin I had always wanted. I have used several different brands and have not preferred one over another. The price is typically high but worth every penny!!

May 6, 2007 at 9:35 am
(50) Robin says:

Wow, so much mentions of the “big name products”.

There are MANY lines of mineral makeup, most of which DO NOT contain B.O.

All of them, have a huge array of colors, especially for women with more color.

Here are a few that I have tried, or that I have heard rave reviews of:

Ada Cosmetics – Specifically for African American skin.
Alima Cosmetics
J. Lynne Cosmetics
Monave
M*A*D Minerals
Meow Cosmetics
Valerie Beauty

There are MANY others. This is just a small list.

Check out a comprehensive Mineral Makeup forum where ladies chat about the different lines and colors.

July 1, 2007 at 9:34 am
(51) Kelly says:

My sister and I have similar skintones, and she uses Bare Minerals, and I bought the new Physicians Formula mineral powder at the drugstore. There doesn’t seem to be much of a difference in coverage. I have some acne, and a little extra spot of the powder on a spot covers it right up. I’m glad I tried the cheap stuff ($12 I think for a pretty good-sized thing of powder) The only thing I’ve been unhappy with is the Phys Form mineral brozing veil, which doesn’t dispense from its weird container very well.

July 9, 2007 at 5:29 am
(52) Sharon says:

I used BE Mineral Veil for a day and the next day my face started to get itchy, red and blotchy. Today’s the second day after I used it and I’ve already seen the dermatologist. I have never had any allergy and this is my first time. It’s such a painful experience – not so much of the discomfort but more of the disappointment in my first attempt at mineral makeup. I think i’ll just switch back to normal makeup once my face is healed.

July 31, 2007 at 12:06 am
(53) julie says:

i’ve been reading along and wanted to add my own experience. i have sensitive, acne prone skin; i’ve worn liquid foundation for years to cover it up and recently decided to try mineral powder instead b/c it’s advertised as gentler on my skin type. i tried 2 different shades of bare minerals, which i bought at ulta salon; i had a hard time finding the right match. too pink or too orange, no in-between, and i wasn’t going to spend a lot to blend my own color out of several different pots. then i tried neutrogena’s mineral powder–although it comes in a neat portable tube, it is hard to apply and looks blotchy unless you can get the brush bristles to open as far as you can. at another visit to ulta, i tried their own mineral powder and found a good color match that is blendable w/ actual coverage. and, the powder lasts w/o looking greasy.

August 31, 2007 at 12:34 am
(54) Penny M. says:

I tried Bare Minerals and had a horrible break out as well! I thought that stuff was supposed to be “good” for your skin (that’s what the hype says!)

I shyed away from mineral makeup until I ran across a seller on Etsy.com that had the same reaction to BM and formulated her own, using 6 minerals, and no Bismuth!

I tried it, and let me say at age 48 I’m so pleased I cannot believe it! Not only did they have sample kits, but I went ahead and bought a large foundation and they sent FREE samples so I could match my exact face color! It was incredible, and the foundation is totally matte, not shiny like BM.

I haven’t had an acne pimple since I started using that Pink Quartz Minerals foundation. I also use the translucent veil they have, and it makes me look 10 years younger!

It pays to look around!

November 2, 2007 at 1:14 pm
(55) Theresa says:

I have tried tons of mineral makeup. I like http://www.coconutbaycosmetics.com the best. Their foundations are matte and contain no bismuth. Their foundation stays on all day and has great coverage.

Theresa

December 29, 2007 at 1:12 am
(56) Rebecca D Page says:

I am all for using mineral make-up. Especially the lower priced Avon. I am lost at what I need though. The ones on tv come with a video on how to use and besides that I haven’t a clue about color choices whether I use mineral make-up or some on sale item. I have needed some for so long but don’t know what color to get so it’s not too orange or I look too paled out.
Help!!!
Page

January 13, 2008 at 11:43 am
(57) Marjorie says:

To those who stated that the makeup is too shiny or the “powder” effect accentuates wrinkles, I would suggest that you are probably using too much product. BTW, you can use moisturizer under mineral makeup if you have dry skin or winter weather.

February 26, 2008 at 6:14 pm
(58) Tiffany says:

Bare Minerals has left my face with cystic acne and scarring!!! They cliam not to use fillers yet they use bismuth oxychloride which is a cheap filler that I have now found out causes cystic acne!!! I used to have flawless skin and their makeup ruined my skin!!! I have many friends who have stopped using Bare Minerals due to acne as well!!!

March 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm
(59) Kathy says:

I tried Bare Minerals, and my face broke out in this HORRIBLE rash. It was so depressing. Until I found this company, Radiant Minerals, through a friend. HOLY MOLY this stuff is awsome. Its cheaper, gives better coverage AND the owner is so helpful and great!
If Bare Minerals dosent work for you, try Radiant Minerals!

April 11, 2008 at 10:02 am
(60) Sandi says:

I too had a really bad experience with the Aromaleigh staff. Don’t dare offer criticism for the product, or you will suffer the owners wrath. Be prepared for a dissertation defense in her and other forums and you will most certainly be put on extinction. What a way to run a business! But thanks to her snippy attitude and backhanded comments, I was offended enough to switch products. Thanks Aromaleigh, I found Everyday Minerals!

June 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm
(61) Inge says:

I am a proud makeup artist who has been using Mineral Cosmetics since my children were born(now 11 & 7). I’ve gone from using lots of different lines first starting with Aromaleigh, then to Jane Iredale. Then one night late at night I was watching info’s-yep I was trapped-I decided to check out what BE was all about-to my surprise I loved it! I have been using their cosmetics for years now. It amazes me when I read all the comments on here such as BE being like the “McDonald’s” of mineral cosmetics.

BE has been around since 1976 their cosmetics are so pure because it ONLY has 5 ingredients and that is it. For people who are sensitive to bismuth I am truly sorry for them and I ask of you to e-mail the company yourself and ask if they have other options for you.

I truly believe this is much different than any other line I’ve used. If you get a chance go into a boutique. The boutique’s are outstanding and no, I’m not talking about Sephora’s. You need to experience BE in its true form-it is amazing. I have never had such luck with a makeup-doesn’t matter if I have the youngest skin, oily skin, dry skin, or the most weathered skin-the makeup wears beautifully and looks like there is nothing at all.

I urge all of you to at least try and compared to traditional makeups-minerals are affordable. Good luck and yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE BE!

June 26, 2008 at 3:52 pm
(62) Celeste says:

I read this column and the comments with great interest. What led me to this site was a search for an alternative to Aromaleigh! I used this product for about a year and did not have any problems whatsoever. Every product I used was fine. But after reading several vicious comments from the owner attacking customers, online reviewers and blog members, I was COMPLETELY repulsed by Aromaleigh. Some of the comments made me wince! I can not justify spending hard earned money to support a toxic personality.

I will look into some of the suggestions made here. Thanks!

July 10, 2008 at 12:31 am
(63) Yeye says:

Dear beauty,
what is the difference between liquid foundation and mineral foundation?
Which one better?

cheers,
yeye

July 20, 2008 at 1:38 pm
(64) Blanche says:

I’m glad I read through most of the comments. I was going to try mineral make-up but have “mature” skin like over 70. What is good a good primer and make up. I am running out of funds trying and throwing things out.

July 28, 2008 at 7:04 pm
(65) MotownMiz says:

I’m a 50-something brown-skinned woman with *very sensitive* combination skin who’s been using BE for about 3 years. I absolutely love all their products! I also use Mary Kay’s mineral foundation and skin care products. As a darker skinned woman, I can speak enthusiastically about both mineral product brands. Both require very little product to gain absolutely flawless looking skin.

August 31, 2008 at 4:15 pm
(66) Jodie Bell says:
October 28, 2008 at 6:21 pm
(67) LosangDechen says:

I’m also an Aromaleigh fan. Wow, do they have an amazing array of color choices! I love how smoothly they go on to my skin.
Thanks for the blog – I love to hear everyones comments and suggestions. I’m a very late-bloomer into the world of make-up, and this is wonderful.

October 29, 2008 at 2:42 pm
(68) julie says:

I am 41 years old, and am often told I look much younger…until I tried BE…I looked cakey and haggard. There were huge lines under my eyes I have never noticed before with traditional liquid foundation. I stopped using it..and then recently thought I would give it another go…no way in hell..its going in the garbage today. It may be great for yound skin, but not for “mature” skin I have found

November 1, 2008 at 7:39 pm
(69) Emmy says:

Sandi, I had the same awful experience with Aromaleigh’s customer service. The owner jumped down my throat in a series of nasty emails. I couldn’t believe that an owner would act that way to her clients. Unbelievable! Their product is not worth this abuse.

January 25, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(70) Gemma Thompson says:

I havent tried Aromaleigh yet, I have tried Sheer Cover and Bare Escentuals and a few others and had the same problems with skin irritation others have reported, maybe due to the Bismuth. Also coverage was such that I had to apply many coats to get a reasonable coverage which makes it even more expensive. The best Ive tried by far and the one I use at the moment is one by Pure Magic Minerals which gives brilliant coverage and a matte finish with just a hint of natural glow. It allows me to cover my naturally quite pink complexion with ease and i dont need to use a lot either to look flawless, for now Im sticking with Pure Magic but may try out Aromaleigh in the future.

February 6, 2009 at 4:24 pm
(71) J. Rose says:

I love Erth Minerals mineral makeup . I’ve been using them for about two years & love their shade 2.3 & their veil is unbelievable for an unbelievable price. Much less than other mineral cosmetics.

April 9, 2009 at 1:06 am
(72) Skin Savvy says:

Although I too was a huge believer in the miraculous nature of mineral makeup, I have seen the light. Bismuth Oxychloride, found in a lot of mineral foundations, clogs and irritates skin which makes it horrible for those with sensitive skin or acne sufferers. Zinc Oxide is also a known pore clogger. Also, the natural oil in the minerals goes deep into the skin and is not washed away with the usual methods of face cleansing. I have long suffered from acne, and although I didn’t want to believe my mineral make-up was making my condition worse, I noticed the difference when I discontinued mineral make-up. Not to mention the make-up is heavy, cakey, pools in the corners of your face and changes color on oily skin.

May 8, 2009 at 12:53 pm
(73) Iszy says:

I’m a confirmed Bare Minerals girl for my foundation. I like it because it doesn’t HAVE to be heavy. I can put it on blind and drunk in the dark for just a bare, light coverage, and several hours later, when I’m sober and well-lit, I check and I STILL look great!

I also have to say, I am NOT a fan of Aromaleigh! For one, I find the trolling caused by it’s rabid “fans” more scary than encouraging. Wow! Let someone have a different opinion about cosmetics, would you guys! Sheessh!

Also, in my experience, and OFF of AL’s own personal forums, you see that the customer service is a BIG problem. Packaging is low quality, and their “samples” are so poorly done, you might as well throw them away as soon as you get them (little plastic baggies for fine powder? That’s just a huge mess!!)

So, yeah. Take everything (even this) you read in comments on a blog (or the blogs themselves) with a grain of salt, and for God’s sake women! Get your panties out of a knot just because someone doesn’t agree with you!

September 30, 2009 at 12:14 am
(74) Tammy Lynn says:

I’ve tried many mineral cosmetics including Aromaleigh, which works well for
me. I also discovered Spice
Cosmetics
another company that seems very promising. While there weren’t any
foundations available, I did buy a few of their mineral eye shadows, and I must
say that I’m quite impressed so far.

December 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(75) Marina says:

I have used BareMinerals in the past and let me tell you-it’s the WORST makeup I have ever tried. I am licensed esthetican at a medical spa and we are using Jane Iredale Mineral Makeup. That one doesn’t have any parabens, preservatives and talk. Talk is present in BE makeup. BE gives you a good coverage because its heavy. BE cant claim themselves as mineral make up because the ingredients that they use are by far not healthy for your skin.

January 27, 2010 at 1:26 am
(76) Sandi #2 says:

I had to laugh. I saw “sandi’s” comment above and it looked like I had written it. The funny thing is that I am “sandi” as well…not the same person although we spell it the same. (Just wanted to clarify)

Anywho, I stumbled upon this since I was looking for an alternative for Aromaleigh. I have been a fan of AL for a while and spent several hundred dollars buying their products…like the other Sandi…the first time I ran into a problem I got nothing but snarky and sarcastic / passive aggressive communication from the owner. I was really very disappointed as I really like a few of their products. The glissade has worked for me in a way that bare escentuals never did. However, I was so thrown back by the emails I received from both the owner and the owner’s husband that I decided I needed to spend my money elsewhere…hence…having found this. I just wanted to say I completey appreciate people posting all the names and sites of lesser known mineral foundation companies. I have ordered samples from almost all listed here and I am confident that I can find an alternative to AL that is just as good without the snarky customer service.

February 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm
(77) Just Burnt says:

Well, the drama continues….The initial review here was written 2 years ago and Kristen and her fanatics have been given a new mission. To try and bury any criticisms with “positive reiviews”. I used AL for the past year and a half. In this time period the owner has publicly bashed customers, bloggers, other business owners and anyone who doesn’t agree with her opinion. I have now switched all my business to other companies. With and ego and ethics like this….I just don’t want to give her anymore of my money. I don’t really have any complaints about the products, just her snarky, everyone is out of step but Kristen attitude. Her unprofessionalism sickens me.

February 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm
(78) Tally7 says:

Yeah, well, I’ve been “burnt” too. I would encourage people to continue shopping there…just don’t get too personal with the owner. Luckily, she’s changed the”spring solstice” wording which had been bugging me and which spurred my review which she then harrased me about. So yay, she learned from her mistakes, and made her public quotes more professional.

March 1, 2010 at 7:49 am
(79) Tally7 says:

Ok, forget what I said about Kristen making her public quotes more professional. She just posted publicly all the dirty details about why she decided to end her sponsership of Emilie Autumn. Just like the point of my original review, there is a professional way of doing things, and an unprofessional way. Oh wells. Acting the way she does only hurts her.

March 1, 2010 at 7:46 pm
(80) Tally7 says:

BTW Kristen is the owner of aromaleigh… this thread is so long you might have missed it.

March 20, 2010 at 2:28 am
(81) Kathryn says:

I”ve always heard that older women shouldn’t use mineral makeup as it settles into your lines and wrinkles. I’m 58 and have all kinds of skin problems. Acne scars, large pores, some loss of elasticity, crows feet and deep facial wrinkles. I also have dry skin.

I have been using BE and a variety of concealers. I don’t think there is one answer for every mature woman. Older skin needs more preparation, rather than adherence to one kind of foundation. I use moisterizer, primer, some concealer for my problem areas and BE for the rest. The trick is to allow enough time for your moisterizer and primer to absorb and use as little makeup as possible. Less is more whether it is creamy foundation or MM. Experiment and use what is best for you.

April 3, 2010 at 3:49 am
(82) Just Burnt Too says:

I’ve been checking out other mineral makeup lines and found this site and post. I’ve been burnt by Aromaleigh too! I spent over $1,000.00 in the past year and the first time I had a complaint (missing a product from the order)….I got an e-mail from Kristen, the owner calling me a greedy b_ _ _ _ _ and using a racial slur! I nearly fell out of my chair when I read it. I thought maybe it was a joke and e-mailed again. Same thing. Is this woman crazy or what? I won’t be spending anymore of my money or my time with her.

July 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(83) Marie says:

Kristin of Aromaleigh has been consistently unprofessional, bitter and just downright rude. She spends more time and energy dissing other mineral makeup companies and being crass and rude to her own clients than she does promoting and making a positive reputation for her brand. Stay far away from this woman AND this company. Negativity always breeds more negativity.

September 26, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(84) Susan Atkins says:

Bare Minerals’ ‘Bisque’ is the best concealer I’ve ever used. I’d given up using any concealer at all actually- with my skin they just acted like flaw highlighters!

Then I got the BM kit, and I put the concealer under one eye. I was right up to the mirror and I was disappointed because I couldn’t see any concealer.

I stood back, and realised I couldn’t see any dark circle either!! Thrilled-to-bits doesn’t even cover it! I get a kick out of it every single day.

So glad I’m not sensitive to the ingredients!!

The eyeshadows are great fun (but since they adhere to your lids like limpets, mistakes mean you have to start again) The colour range is dizzying, and used wet and dry you actually get two shades in the shimmery shades. The blush can be dabbed on the lips and smoothed over with lip balm for a lovely lip colour too (seeing as I can’t cope with lipstick, and find many glosses too ‘glossy’).

That’s my experience, but i’ll look out for other brands now too. But I think I’ll never find anything better than ‘Bisque’.

November 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm
(85) michelle dodge says:

Hi,i was wondering if anyone had tried MAYBELLINE Mineral power foundation.iv been using it for over a year but the last couple of months iv had a rash on my face and the only thing i can put it down to is the mineral foundation.

December 9, 2010 at 2:19 am
(86) caitlin says:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can assist me with choosing a liquid foundation. I have both dry and oily skin in certain places, acne, and acne scars. I have tried several make up brands multiple times such as mac, lancome, clinique, bare minerals, L’oreal true match, and cannot seem to find the right one for my skin. These products were expensive and had many side effects; either they caused me to break out more, didn’t cover up my acne, didn’t stay on for very long, and would get really oily after only a few hours. I am looking for a cheap/affordable foundation that will be good for my skin, last long, and provide full coverage. Can anyone please help me???!!

May 30, 2011 at 3:15 am
(87) Vee says:
June 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm
(88) Angie says:

I have tried Bare Minerals but due to the fact that it has some ingredients that make me break out i since have stopped using it. I recently found this company called “Cool Colors Cosmetics” (www.coolcolorscosmetics.com) which has 100% natural mineral makeup and they have more then 200 colors for eye shadows even have foundations for us darker skin tone girls! I absolutely love this company and I recommend it to anyone who is allergic to lots of the ingredients found in leading mineral makeup companies They dont use bismuth oxychloride (which is the ingredient that makes me break out), preservatives or fillers in any of their products. They recently came up with a 100% natural skin care line and they even have live chat customer support!

June 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm
(89) Suzanne says:

Has anyone ever heard of Priia Mineral Makeup? I’m a makeup artist and I use Priia every day! No Bismuth Oxychloride, no dyes, no parabens. It’s 98% Vegan and Gluten-Free. I use it all of the time on my clients that have regular, sensitive skin, rosacea and acne. Heavily pigmented and a brilliant color pallette. Try it, you’ll love it. They have samples available, too!

January 20, 2012 at 7:51 am
(90) Jenna says:

I’ve used Bare Minerals but I feel it leaves a shimmer on my skin and looks like I have make up on. The best mineral make up I have found is Lily Lolo. It is affordable, looks completely natural and so long lasting. I work as a Beauty Therapist, mostly working in holistic therapies. My make up wasn’t lasting 5 minutes because once I started massaging in a warm room I would sweat and my make up would melt off. Lily Lolo lasts all day and still looks perfect and freshly applied at the end of the day. I have converted a lot of my friends to Lily Lolo too including a friend who found that her oily, greasy skin caused make up to slide off her face. I introduced her to Lily Lolo’s Flawless Matte powder. It goes on under the foundation and drys up any oil meaning her make up lasts all day and she doesn’t get oily shine.

Also after a heavy night out my friends often comment how my make up is still perfect when I wake up in the morning!

The only bad comment I would make is that Lily Lolo doesn’t work for mature skin. It does sit in wrinkes and isn’t very flattering. As someone said above I think a liquid foundation would work better.

Jenna

April 18, 2012 at 2:16 am
(91) Ann says:

I have used many different types of traditional foundations in liquid and powder forms. I now swear by Bare Minerals and Jane Iredale foundations etc.

I am 54 and do not find that either brand accentuates fine lines and wrinkles like traditional make up foundation does. It was explained to me that the talc, which is in traditional brands, sits on the skin and seeps into the wrinkles, accentuating them. Genuine mineral make up such as BM and Jane Iredale does not contain these ingredients. Nor do they contain a whole lot of the other ingredients that are so bad for our skin and health.

I don’t wish to sound immodest but when I wear these brands, and particularly BM, I get compliments about my skin and how healthy it looks.

The only negative is that the powder does make a mess at times but that’s a small price to pay for something that is healthy for my skin and is not full of harmful ingredients. After all I do wear it every day!

I also find it stays on well and often lasts through a long and sweaty cardio session after work!

Keep up the good work BM and JI and no, I have no connection to either company and pay for them myself!~

August 3, 2012 at 7:12 am
(92) Flora Wynn says:

Mineral foundation–all of it, regardless of brand–is utter crap. It settles into fine lines, emphasizes wrinkles (and believe me, I only have 2 under my right eye, and mineral makeup shines a beacon on them), travels all over the place without a setting powder (but come on–how on earth can you apply a setting or translucent powder ON TOP of your powder foundation without looking like a mummy?!), and is cakey beyond belief. Every brand I’ve ever tried has also triggered an allergy attack (I have severe eczema).

So if you are anything like me and have eczema, psoriasis, and very dry, sensitive skin, avoid mineral foundation–or any powder foundation–like the plague. Bare Minerals actually sunk into my forehead creases throughout the day, manufacturing wrinkles that I don’t even have (I don’t have ANY wrinkles or lines on my forehead–just dry skin)! When I checked my face in the mirror about 4 hours after application, I looked about 20 years older. I’m 35 and this god-awful makeup made me look older than my mom!

Worst product I have ever used in my life! Honestly, if you want to look younger or have dewy skin, stick to liquid foundations to which you can add luminizer. My favorites are both La Prairie foundations (Skin Caviar and Anti-Aging), Dior Capture Totale, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and Armani Luminous Silk.

Yes, these foundations are much higher-priced than the $20 or $30 that mineral foundations cost. But they are targeted at woman 35+ and deliver much-needed quality anti-aging elements. I think that the Dior Capture Totale is the best deal, and I’d rather pay $80 for a flawless, luminous face than $30 for a dry, cakey, wrinkle-filled one any day!